What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X in-flight videos

Very nice video's. This system is really nice.

The only thing I see I don't like is that I never saw a GS indicator on the HSI and am not sure I saw it on the main display. If it was there, it is small and hard to see and GS indicators should not be hard to see...

Maybe it was just the video.

I would also love to hear more about the methods used by Garmin to filter out the cone of confusion while on VOR nav. Same question for VOR nav and a wandering VOR signal. How does it decide what to follow?

What is this GPS Aiding that was mentioned on the intercept of the localizer on the ILS approach?

Last edited:
The only thing I see I don't like is that I never saw a GS indicator on the HSI and am not sure I saw it on the main display. If it was there, it is small and hard to see and GS indicators should not be hard to see...

Maybe it was just the video.

Glideslope/glidepath deviation appears just to the left of the altitude tape, similar to how it is in a G1000 or G500/G600 airplane. The glare from the way the camera was mounted makes it a little hard to pick out in the video, I think.

mcb

What is this GPS Aiding that was mentioned on the intercept of the localizer on the ILS approach?

The way I understand it......

Imagine being close to the airport on a vector to intercept the localizer. The closer you are to the airport, the more deflection of the needle. For example say your 1 mile away, you could be fairly close to the localizer but the needle is fully deflected. Without GPS Aiding the AP waits for the intercept (by the needle position) and you will overfly the localizer.

GPS Aiding can see beyond 'a full deflection of the needle' and make some reasonable assumptions about the localizer's position relative to your aircraft's position. This will allows AP to anticipate the turn before the needle gives any indication of needing to turn.

By the way Matt... I got mine ordered just before the deadline. :)

Last edited:
Simple...just call me and give me a Credit Card #! It's that easy... :)

Nice videos - even some decent landings caught on tape (usually a rarity)!

Cheers,
STein

I could do that, but your computer would implode when you tried to ring that much up on it. It'd be like dividing by zero....

snip...The only thing I see I don't like is that I never saw a GS indicator...snip

Screen capture from a vid I did, Brian. The 'G' at the top can also be a green 'V' if it is an ILS and a magenta 'V' if it is a VNAV descent down to, say, pattern altitude at your home field.

25r34nn.jpg

Last edited:
Back