What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin autopilot aileron servo

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Howdy to all,
I'm drawing my wiring schematic and will be installing Garmin servos for pitch and roll. Just not sure if the aileron servo belongs in the right or left wing. I have drawn Vans trim servo in the left wing....What are your thoughts

Hello Craig,

Thank you for choosing the G3X system for your RV. The RV-7/8/9/10 roll servo mounting bracket kits we sell are set up for installation in the right wing. For details, you may reference Figure 15-11-1 in the current G3X installation manual (rev V).

- Matt

I put the AP servo in the left wing to avoid running wire wing to wing for trim, but this required a different servo bracket, as Garmin's only fits in the Right, and you still need to run the CanBus. I'm not going to say that it's a better way to do it - costs more for the extra bracket and the installation instructions have to be read as if in a mirror...but it works fine. Stein helped with bracket. I'm pretty sure you can run the trim in the either wing as well.

==dave==

Last edited:
I put the servo and trim in the same wing for the wiring reasons stated above. I have them both in my right wing.

In the end, I don't think it really matters, and you can put either in either wing.

Thanks for the quick response. I will follow the standard with the servo in the right wing. No sense reinventing the wheel:))

Just info. When wiring up the Garmin servos and the Ray Allen trim servos, you run two sheilded wires from each auto pilot servo connection (pitch to pitch etc) to the trim servos. Three shielded wires run from the trim servos to the panel for the EFIS trim indication. Couple of ways to do the wire runs, just depends on your shop's recommendarion or what you decide.

Back