What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Auto pilot

Hi everyone,, I want to to install a 2 Axe Garmin autopilot,
What’s the minimum required,
Starting with a small panel ,
What other instruments required to drive this pacskage,
Any advice appreciated,
Thanks David

[Duplicate threads have been merged; S.Buchanan]

Last edited by a moderator:
Autopilot

Advice, want to install 2 axe autopilot, starting with a small screen, what recommandation can you give me , including what’s needed to drive my autopilot,?
Thanks David

If you want a ‘stand-alone’ autopilot, a Trio in a 3 1/8” package would fit the bill.
If you want an efis-driven system, a Garmin G5 plus servos, or a GRT mini EFIS plus servos, would fit your request.

Advice, want to install 2 axe autopilot, starting with a small screen, what recommandation can you give me , including what’s needed to drive my autopilot,?
Thanks David

This depends on what is presently in your panel. You can chose to either integrate with what you have or go with a stand-alone autopilot.

Only thing needed to drive the autopilot is a GPS source, this can be either stand-alone or piggy backed from a GPS unit you are already using. A connection to the static system with provide info needed for pitch control.

Starting with a GPS source to drive it all,
Need a GPS Source, 2 axe autopilot, & a screen,
Remaining VFR,
Any combination recommandations would be appreciated ,
David

A possible 'minimum' Garmin solution would be:

Garmin Aera 660 GPS and bare wires aviation mount
Garmin G5 mini efis
Garmin GMC 305 or GMC 307 or 507 autopilot control head
Pitch servo and roll servo and mounting brackets and hardware
Wires and connectors

Last edited:
Garmin G5 based autopilot with Aera 660 or Aera 760

What Paul said..

GFC500_Basic_System_with_Aera660.png

This basic system is fully operational, but you can add other devices like the GAD13 for outside air temperature, and a GMU11 magnetometer to gain a heading mode, but it works great using GPS track in lieu of heading.

Steve

Last edited:
What about a G3X with Servos,…….. doesn’t need a control head as it’s available on screen and it’s already the GPS source

I've just installed a pair of servos into my RV-6 that already had a G5. The minimum needed is as above, but a GPS isn't required, fly track based on the G5 GPS. I would fit a GMC 507 as it is just better than the 300 series mode controllers. The wiring is straight forward, particularly if you have manual trim. I also fitted the magnetometer (GMU 11) and OAT (via GAD 13), but neither are needed. There are alternatives from others mfrs that use only a 1 1/4 panel hole, rather than a 6" wide radio rack slot.

I would fit a GMC 507 as it is just better than the 300 series mode controllers.

Hard agree. To my knowledge, the 300 series provides no audible warning of autopilot disconnect (my 307 doesn't). This is especially problematic when the AP takes a nap for no apparent reason.

I wasn’t aware the G3X has built in GPS, this makes coupling the 2 Servos, & an auto control 507, along with one G5 as a back up,?
Would this give me what I need as far as a autopilot configuration

If you're considering putting a G3X display into your panel, then the bare minimum autopilot installation is the GDU display (any size or orientation) plus roll and pitch servos. You don't need anything else.

That gives you flight instrumentation, autopilot mode control, flight planning, navigation. No backups, but that's not what you asked for and they're easy to add if you want them.

You might want to add a mode controller if using the touch screen is annoying. The cheaper GMC307 is perfectly fine for that application. Ignore previous commentary about limitations; the G3X gives you all the audio alerts you'll ever want, and also supplies knobs for altitude and heading bugs.

- mark

Limitations

Ignore previous commentary about limitations; the G3X gives you all the audio alerts you'll ever want, and also supplies knobs for altitude and heading bugs.

- mark

Sure it does. But my autopilot runs off of a G5, so the lack of an audible warning matters when the AP goes on an unscheduled vacation. Unfortunately when the 500 series came out, the only upgrade path was “buy a 500 series at full price.” :rolleyes:

As you point out, I suppose I could also address the issue by buying and installing a G3X.

Note also that the OP was asking about a “minimum” installation. Presumably with Garmin gear that means a G5 system, so the limitation of the 300 series seems relevant. I may be missing something.

Last edited:
I wasn’t aware the G3X has built in GPS, this makes coupling the 2 Servos, & an auto control 507, along with one G5 as a back up,?

The G3X 10" screens (at least) each have a built in, uncertified WAAS receiver. All you need to use those is to attach an antenna. I added an antenna to the second screen, so now I've got three GPS in the panel, usable for navigation.

The only thing you can't do with those is IFR approaches, as those require certified GPS receivers. There's probably some details I'm missing, but pretty close...

If you're considering putting a G3X display into your panel, then the bare minimum autopilot installation is the GDU display (any size or orientation) plus roll and pitch servos. You don't need anything else.

That gives you flight instrumentation, autopilot mode control, flight planning, navigation. No backups, but that's not what you asked for and they're easy to add if you want them.

You might want to add a mode controller if using the touch screen is annoying. The cheaper GMC307 is perfectly fine for that application. Ignore previous commentary about limitations; the G3X gives you all the audio alerts you'll ever want, and also supplies knobs for altitude and heading bugs.

- mark

Is a G3X display alone sufficient and you really don't need anything else? What about a LRU (ADAHRS), otherwise what is the source for airspeed, altitude, attitude etc?

Minimum system

Pretty sure all you need is the servos, one G5, an external antenna for the G5’s own built in GPS, and a 500-series controller box. For backup, you could use a second G5 (which would be handy in all sorts of ways anyway).

G5s are surprisingly capable alternatives to G3x systems, and may be just what the doctor ordered if panel space and/or $ are tight. I’m a huge fan of the G5.

Pretty sure all you need is the servos, one G5, an external antenna for the G5’s own built in GPS, and a 500-series controller box. For backup, you could use a second G5 (which would be handy in all sorts of ways anyway).

G5s are surprisingly capable alternatives to G3x systems, and may be just what the doctor ordered if panel space and/or $ are tight. I’m a huge fan of the G5.

IIRC, the G5 only needs an external antenna for installation in certificated airplanes.

2 Axis G5 Based Autopilot for RV's

Hi everyone,, I want to to install a 2 Axe Garmin autopilot,
What’s the minimum required,
Starting with a small panel ,
What other instruments required to drive this pacskage,
Any advice appreciated,
Thanks David

[Duplicate threads have been merged; S.Buchanan]

Hi David,

Here is a complete parts list for a 2-axis G5 Based autopilot in an RV7, which includes the servo mounting hardware required to attach the servos to your specific airframe.

1. Part Number 010-01946-00 GMC 507 $1160
  2. Part Number 011-01824-01 GMC 507 Connector Kit $50
  3. Part Number 010-01485-01 G5 Unit Experimental Aircraft $1495
  4. Part Number 010-12493-11 G5 Installation Kit $111
  5. Part Number 010-01068-20 GSA 28 $885
  6. Part Number 010-01068-20 GSA 28 $885
  7. Part Number 011-02950-00 GSA 28 Servo Connector Kit $55
  8. Part Number 011-02950-00 GSA 28 Servo Connector Kit $55
  9. Part Number 011-02952-12 GSA 28 Servo Installation Kit, RV-7/8/10 Roll $105
  10. Part Number 011-02952-14 GSA 28 Servo Installation Kit, RV-6/7/9 Pitch $105

With this equipment your autopilot would be capable of flying the aircraft in the following modes:

• PIT - Holds an absolute pitch angle, as programmed through the flight director
  • IAS - Holds the flight director commanded airspeed target
  • VS - Holds the flight director commanded vertical speed target
  • ALT mode - Holds the flight director commanded altitude target
  • GPS track - Holds the aircraft on the flight director commanded GPS track
  • ROL mode - Holds an absolute bank angle, as programmed through the flight director
  • LVL mode commands the aircraft to straight and level flight with a single button push.

If you have existing DC Trim motors installed that drive your trim tabs, you can wire them through the GSA 28 servo(s) and the system will automatically drive the trim tabs while the autopilot is engaged to ensure the aircraft is in trim when you disconnect the autopilot. There is no additional equipment required for this, it just requires some wiring changes.

Here are some components you can add in the future to add more capability to the system:

• GMU 11 Magnetometer - Enables HDG Mode
  • GPS Navigator - Example Aera 660, which Enables NAV and VNAV mode to follow external navigation guidance. A GTN 650 Xi would allow the autopilot to additionally fly a fully coupled approach procedure using the APR button, as well as provide the ability to follow SmartGlide emergency guidance.
  • GAD 13 - Provides Outside Air Temperature data to the G5 which is used to calculate winds aloft and True Airspeed

If any other questions come up please feel free to reach out to us directly at [email protected]. We are also available to assist with any installation related questions at that address.

Thanks,

Justin

Hi David,

Here is a complete parts list for a 2-axis G5 Based autopilot in an RV7, which includes the servo mounting hardware required to attach the servos to your specific airframe.

1. Part Number 010-01946-00 GMC 507 $1160
  2. Part Number 011-01824-01 GMC 507 Connector Kit $50
  3. Part Number 010-01485-01 G5 Unit Experimental Aircraft $1495*
  4. Part Number 010-12493-11 G5 Installation Kit $111
  5. Part Number 010-01068-20 GSA 28 $885
  6. Part Number 010-01068-20 GSA 28 $885
  7. Part Number 011-02950-00 GSA 28 Servo Connector Kit $55
  8. Part Number 011-02950-00 GSA 28 Servo Connector Kit $55
  9. Part Number 011-02952-12 GSA 28 Servo Installation Kit, RV-7/8/10 Roll $105
  10. Part Number 011-02952-14 GSA 28 Servo Installation Kit, RV-6/7/9 Pitch $105

With this equipment your autopilot would be capable of flying the aircraft in the following modes:

• PIT - Holds an absolute pitch angle, as programmed through the flight director
  • IAS - Holds the flight director commanded airspeed target
  • VS - Holds the flight director commanded vertical speed target
  • ALT mode - Holds the flight director commanded altitude target
  • GPS track - Holds the aircraft on the flight director commanded GPS track
  • ROL mode - Holds an absolute bank angle, as programmed through the flight director
  • LVL mode commands the aircraft to straight and level flight with a single button push.

If you have existing DC Trim motors installed that drive your trim tabs, you can wire them through the GSA 28 servo(s) and the system will automatically drive the trim tabs while the autopilot is engaged to ensure the aircraft is in trim when you disconnect the autopilot. There is no additional equipment required for this, it just requires some wiring changes.

Here are some components you can add in the future to add more capability to the system:

• GMU 11 Magnetometer - Enables HDG Mode
  • GPS Navigator - Example Aera 660, which Enables NAV and VNAV mode to follow external navigation guidance. A GTN 650 Xi would allow the autopilot to additionally fly a fully coupled approach procedure using the APR button, as well as provide the ability to follow SmartGlide emergency guidance.
  • GAD 13 - Provides Outside Air Temperature data to the G5 which is used to calculate winds aloft and True Airspeed

If any other questions come up please feel free to reach out to us directly at [email protected]. We are also available to assist with any installation related questions at that address.

Thanks,

Justin
Everyone; Has given me loads of good information, Thank You David

Back