What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Aera Series GPS

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
From what I have read recently, it looks like Garmin has pretty much abandoned the 296, and 396. It looks like they will cease selling the 496 in about one year. They say that they will support these but who knows for how long?

Van's says that they are monitoring advancements in avionics with reference to the RV-12. Wondering if Van's are thinking about replacing the 496 with either the 696 or the Aera series GPS units?

And, how about the Dynon SkyView? I'd love to be able to buy (from Van's) a new Aera or 696 and Dynon's SkyView to go along with the Dynon 180 (as part of the LSA package). Or maybe, I don't even need the Garmin products if I had the other two - come on Dynon!!!:):):)

Cost of the 496 and the Aera 560 as listed in the Sporty's Catalog is the identical $1999.00.

I am aware that it would cost Van's $$$ to make these changes in the RV-12 package and am willing to pay my part for the cost of the development and engineering changes.:cool:

Aera 560 Review

I have been flying with the Aera 560 for a while now and LOVE it!

I have the XM subscription for weather and audio and would not think of flying without it now. I have had a couple of flights that would not have been possible without the inflight weather.

The learning curve is small and the functionality is large. I plan to upgrade my AP to a Trio Pro Pilot soon w/ altitude hold and look forward to not having to hold altitude manually.

Wondering if there is anyone out there that already has that setup and can provide feedback. Currently use a Garmin GNC 250XL to drive my AP and it works fine, but looking forward to the added features made available in the Aera. Any feedback would be welcomed.

Best regards,

Bruce

Skyview will be the replacement

Got that word from "the horses mouth", and was told it would be certified in the S-LSA and the -12 kit by the time I get to Avionics kit. ....

Got that word from "the horses mouth", and was told it would be certified in the S-LSA and the -12 kit by the time I get to Avionics kit. ....

That has 2 meanings:
1- They are working on it
2- Whoever told you that isn't very confident in your ability to finish :)

Feel free to call Scott, or Mitch on the East coast ....it's no big secret anymore......sometime in 2011, avionics is at least a year away for me....

Back