What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin aera 760

SMRacer

Well Known Member
Patron
I am considering installing a Garmin Aera 760 in my AFS 5600 EFIS equipped RV8.
The primary reason is that I am led to believe that the 760 will communicate with my Garmin GPS175.
But I can't determine exactly how this process occurs, or if additional appliances are required.
Can anyone elaborate?

The aera760 works very well with the garmin 2 inch GPS navigators, I have the 760 connected to the GNX 375 and use it as a larger display. It shows geolocated approach charts, traffic, weather etc and connects and updates flight plan information. It can be connected a couple of ways, either 2 channels of RS232 or a mix of RS232 and Bluetooth depending on your configuration. One constraint of the 2 inch navigators is only 2 simultaneous Bluetooth are allowed so if you use one for the 760 you can only connect one other BT device (iPad etc.). Depending on your autopilot the 760 can also drive GPSNav lateral functionality.
The 760 can also output VHF comms frequencies into the standby channel of your comm transceiver if it has that functionality (SL-30 in my case).
There are a couple of quirks if you are moving from a 796 but overall it is a great unit and very readable in the cockpit.
Figs

Back