What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 696 XM music question

mkraus01

Well Known Member
I have a Garmin 696 with XM music and I can't seem to get the sound loud enough to hear consistently. I have it going into the music input of an Apollo SL-15 audio panel.

What I need is a way to amplify the output of the 696. Does anyone have any ideas? I thought I heard of a way to add a resistor or diode or something somewhere and it would increase the output??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike Kraus
KitFox SS7 building
RV-10 Built and Flying
RV-4 Built, Flying and sold :-(

On my 396 there is a "output volume" control. It is one of the last menu icons on the list as you scroll through.

set system volume for music first...

My 696 volume output is lower than I would like as well... while there is a volume out it is very limited and adds some distortion sat the highest output level. Also there is a choice of the output being aux or headphone which may have some different signal ranges.

I have had the best success in getting the right mix of volumes by starting adjustments with the lowest volume source; for me this is XM music. Adjust the source volume, headphone gain, and any other system or music gain levels that give the right volume... THEN adjust, radio and intercom volume levels.

Yes, I have tried every setting possible on the 696. It just does not output loud enough to consistently trip the squelch and cuts in and out. Garminsaid I needed to amplify the output from the 696... But also mentioned there might be a 'trick' by using a resistor or diode in the system. They seemed to not know the trick, just of it. I was hoping someone here may know...

Thanks
-Mike

On most audio panels the music is not self-squelched (it may be by radio activity, etc). Are you sure you have it hooked up to the music input?

Back