What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GARMIN 49X Problem - -

JBPILOT

Well Known Member
For those of you with the original D-180 and Gamin GPS, I want you aware of a problem I had today.

On startup, the GPS would not come on. Tried everything I could - nothing. I was scheduled to meet someone for breakfast, and I knew the way - I flew there and back ok. Once back, I pulled the instrument panel top and removed the GPS. It would not work in my hand. I removed the battery and re-installed and it is working again. My plane has been in operation for 4 years. 1st time this has happened. Wanted to relay what worked for me for now. Can't get ahold of Garmin, so not sure what they might say. Be aware.

Made contact with Garmin. "might have just been a glitch, no way to know".

Last edited:
I was lookin - -

When I took the battery out, the contacts all looked very clean. Might have been a tiny bit of corrosion I did not see. I did not clean them. Just put it back together. If it happens again, I will have to clean them just to be sure.

John,
I made a couple of brackets that fit into slots on the sides of the GPS to hold it in the panel. To remove the GPS, I remove the top 2 screws, (one on each side of the GPS), then turn the bottom 2 screws 1/8 turn to pivot the brackets out of the way. It is a lot easier than removing the whole instrument panel cover. See pictures:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Op3MGBwVfCbie6jQQRPrbNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/xhe9AY6VjZqdFU5_2j_8utMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
Joe Gores

Common

I had a Garmin 296 and had to remove the battery and pop it back in a few differant times. It should work just fine until it does it again. Might be days, weeks, months or years.

Joe & Bob - -

Thanks for your comments. Joe that is a great design. Bob, glad to hear it is a problem that can occur. For sure if I have to remove it again, I will clean the contacts and lube them also. Who knows. If it happens again fairly soon, I will copy Joe's idea to make it quicker to remove. With an electric screwdriver, it doesn't take a great amount of time, but there must be 50 screws to mess with.

Back