What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430W Database Problem

GalinHdz

Well Known Member
Yesterday when I started my G430W I noticed it took longer than normal to boot up. After it turned on I could not make any flight plan nor could I find any airports/VOR's/NavAids or anything when I tried to look one of them up. There was a message saying there was a problem with the database so I reinstalled the current data cycle on the card. The data reinstalled as always and it passed the JSUM program data verification.

Today when I went flying it did the same thing, no database information at all. The radio works fine as does the GPS map. The little airplane shows up on the GPS nav page as do roads and other non-aviation data, but no aviation related data shows up.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Is it a data card problem or do I have to send the radio back to GARMIN for repair. It has worked flawlessly for 7 years.

:(

I do the monthly update

for my friends 430W in a Baron ----- I always power up and check everything after changing the card --- late last year, the 430 would not load data from the card ---- Unit ended up going back to Garmin for (half) warranty repair (3-months past warranty).

for my friends 430W in a Baron ----- I always power up and check everything after changing the card --- late last year, the 430 would not load data from the card ---- Unit ended up going back to Garmin for (half) warranty repair (3-months past warranty).

NOT what I wanted to hear but was kind of expecting it.

It worked just fine for 2 flights after the download then, poof, nothing. I am afraid it is a radio problem but will check with another card to confirm. I am not looking forward to giving $$$ to GARMIN since after 7yrs I don't think there is any warranty left.

:(

Back