What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 400w/500W Trainer

Tailwind/RVGuy

A plane I fly has the Garmin 530W with an HSI. I have been using the Garmin 400W/500W trainer (software ver 3.0) to brush up on VOR and ILS approaches. My question on the simulator is this: When I go to the VLOC function during simple VOR to VOR navigation or an ILS or LOC approach, the simulator HSI brings up a NAV flag and the CDI goes "centered". The autopilot still seems to track OK but the CDI displacement is no longer showing on the needles. When I change it back to GPS (above the CDI button) then everything seems OK

Do I have a setting wrong or is that just the nature of this simulator? The needles show proper displacement when in GPS mode just not in VLOC mode. Will try it in the plane soon. Was thinking maybe the simulator software can't do that without an actual "ground based signal".

Thanks
Keith

Keith,

My notes indicate it is a GPS only simulator:

"At the time the 430 was introduced, GPS navigation and approaches were new and unfamiliar. The trainer simulates GPS operations but not VOR/ILS/GS operations. From the Help page, “When the CDI key is used to engage VLOC mode, the D-bar and selected course inputs are not simulated. The autopilot simulator is always coupled to the GPS sensor, regardless of this setting”.

I spent a lot of time on the sim and learned a lot. The one for the GPS175 is also good. It's helped with figuring out things!

Jim Butcher

Jim,
Thanks, that is exactly what I needed. I figured something like that was the problem. I have a GPS 175 in my Tailwind coupled to a GRT Sport EX and it works very well and that simulator is also good.

Keith

Back