What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 330 software update at Oshkosh

Tankerpilot75

Well Known Member
After reading a thread from Garmin about free software updates for GTX 327 and 330 transponders for experimental aircraft owners at Oshkosh, I pulled my GTX 330 from my RV7A at took it to Air Venture. Garmin quickly performed the update at their tent and told me it was now ads-b compliant. I pointed out mine was not extended squitter and they corrected their previous comment. I asked them what the update did on my unit and the rep said mostly internal functionalities I could not see. Not a lot of information there!

I finally got around to reinstalling my transponder today and powered it up. It came to a screen I had not seen before and required I enter my "call sign." Not knowing exactly what it wanted I entered my tail number. The unit seemed happy with that and let me continue to a normal screen.

I wish Garmin had said something about the software update requiring that I enter my tail number on initial power up. I might have readup on the process before hand and been prepared. At least. I figured it out (I hope) and in the process indentified one of the "updates" - the unit now transmits my tail number.

Be aware that your 330 has always transmitted your unique mode S (ICAO) code

I don't think it will actually send your flight ID/call sign unless you have the ES option. I may be wrong about that....

I have appreciated very much the convenient and free update service the past 3 years Garmin has been doing them at Osh for these xponders!

Last edited:
I had my 330 upgraded to ES a few years ago and when it came back from Garmin all the settings were gone.

You should go through every page and check that ALL your settings are properly set.

I had thought I got them all until I tried to enter a class B.....ATC informed me my transponder wasn't sending mode C and my ADSb wasn't working...

Thankfully they allowed me to pass through and when I landed I was able to get most things back.

Then back at home run through the full setup to get it back to normal.

Yes! I then took a picture of every page! :D

FYI, after RR of any transponder the following applies:

?91.413 ATC transponder tests and inspections.

(a) No persons may use an ATC transponder that is specified in 91.215(a), 121.345(c), or ?135.143(c) of this chapter unless, within the preceding 24 calendar months, the ATC transponder has been tested and inspected and found to comply with appendix F of part 43 of this chapter; and

(b) Following any installation or maintenance on an ATC transponder where data correspondence error could be introduced, the integrated system has been tested, inspected, and found to comply with paragraph (c), appendix E, of part 43 of this chapter.

Back