What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garage Depth Needed

lr172

Well Known Member
I am thinking about building a 10 now that my 6 is done. I am wondering if it will fit in my garage. I have 21" from the garage door to the back wall. If I had the H. Stab on with no elevators or rudder and a prop on, would this fit in my 21' garage?

Thanks for the assistance.

Larry

I am thinking about building a 10 now that my 6 is done. I am wondering if it will fit in my garage. I have 21" from the garage door to the back wall. If I had the H. Stab on with no elevators or rudder and a prop on, would this fit in my 21' garage?

Thanks for the assistance.

Larry

There are ways to do it, but that ain't one of 'em.

The -10 is 24'5" long and the elevator and rudder have a chord of ~1'. You're about 3' short on distance using your plan. What you could do is rig the empennage, remove it, turn the fuselage to the diagonal, and install the FWF.

I test fitted the horizontal, then took if off until I moved to the hangar. In my case, I had to move to the hangar to mount my engine. I was about six inches too short. I don't live in that house anymore, so I can't provide any measurements. (I have no clue if the garage was close any standard dimension)

Without the spinner you save about 6". The rudder bottom fairing is about 20" more or less. 21' would be very tight, but as was said, if you fit the HS and then remove it and put the fuse at an angle, you should be able to get the get done.

There are ways to do it, but that ain't one of 'em.

The -10 is 24'5" long and the elevator and rudder have a chord of ~1'. You're about 3' short on distance using your plan. What you could do is rig the empennage, remove it, turn the fuselage to the diagonal, and install the FWF.

Van's site indicated just over 23' I figured the rudder was 2' and the spinner 8" Thought I might be close. Should not be an issue to install the H. Stab and at the airport. Hopefully someone can give me a dimension from Prop to aft end of fuselage. Seems like I could make it with an angle.

Appreciate the help here.

Larry

Van's site indicated just over 23' I figured the rudder was 2' and the spinner 8" Thought I might be close. Should not be an issue to install the H. Stab and at the airport. Hopefully someone can give me a dimension from Prop to aft end of fuselage. Seems like I could make it with an angle.

Appreciate the help here.

Larry

Van's website lists the airplane as 24'5". I can't speak to the spinner, but a rudder fairing is 22.5", plus whatever a light adds.

It's all relative. How much assembly do you plan on in your garage? I built everything in half of a standard 2-car garage. As long as you don't plan to mount the wings or empennage you are good to go. IMO there's no need to until you move to the airport.

The whole fuse (cabin + tailcone) on gear with a mounted engine (no prop) should fit just fine.

Measured

The fuselage from the firewall to the tail post is 17' 10".

The rudder from the hinge line to the face of the position light mount is 21"

The elevators from the hinge line is roughly 15".

So, without the engine, prop, and spinner, it will fit in 21'.

With the power plant bolted on, not so much...

The fuselage from the firewall to the tail post is 17' 10".

The rudder from the hinge line to the face of the position light mount is 21"

The elevators from the hinge line is roughly 15".

So, without the engine, prop, and spinner, it will fit in 21'.

With the power plant bolted on, not so much...

This is very helpfull. Any idea on the dimension from firewall to crank flange?

Larry

Sorry

I wish! I don't have the engine yet. I have been waiting for nearly three weeks to get a quote from Barrett for an engine...:(

From Vans DXF file with my annotations of dimensions.....

RV10_SideView.jpg

Great picture, Bill!
I too am in a similar situation where I have a 2 car garage that has 2 lally columns between the stalls.

One Stall (my wifes) is 11'x22'
The other stall is 13x19.

I'd like to not kick my wife out of the garage if at all possible, so planning to work in the 13x19 space for quite some time. Won't be until I get to the engine mounting time that I would need to to move to the 11x22 space, assuming, of course, that I keep the tail feathers off until moving to the airport.

The only rule my wife made about building was her car was in the garage every night and when the weather was bad....So it was!

The only rule my wife made about building was her car was in the garage every night and when the weather was bad....So it was!

Same here. I had everything on rolling cradles until I got the fuse up on its gear I'd pull her SUV out, roll things around as required and then put it all back and bring the SUV back in when I was done. It sounds like more work than it really was--probably added something like 5 mins to a given work session.

Back