What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gaps in Wing Close out

spriteah

Hello fellow builders. I have completed my wings and note that there are gaps on the wing tip close out area where the angled tabs rivet. By looking at others photos it looks like it is meant to be there.

What should we do with the gaps? If we leave them there then water will easliy enter the wing.

Any Ideas greatly appreciated.

Jim

I have since found a few threads related to this exact topic.

I have also heard that marine products can be used to fill these gaps and sanded and painted.

My main concern is that water will pool in the wings and accelerate corrosion.

Jim

When I first encountered the gaps, I was a little bothered - wished they could have engineered something without the gaps. However, now that I've seen the way the wings look on the airplane, I'm not so concerned. I think we need to remember the gaps are on the bottom of the wing, and inboard due to the shape of the wingtips. They are really not very noticeable.

I too am concerned about corrosion in the wingtips. The metal tips have openings - they are not like a sealed fiberglass tip. That played into my decision to prime everything out there in that wingtip cavity, including the inside of the skins - the only place I did that. Maybe overkill, but makes me feel better about it.

Back