What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gap in Rolled Elevator Leading Edge

seattleworm

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I rolled my elevator leading edge and pop riveted it. It looked real nice from outside. (Picture below). However, when look at inside, there is gap between the top and bottom halves. It looks like the pop rivets didn't pull the two halves enough to close the gap. When the two halves are clecoed, there is no gap. My questions are:
1) Is this gap acceptable because this is low load area? My concern is more for vibration. Anyone with flying RV and gaped leading edge experienced something bad?

2) The aluminum pop rivets are easy to drill out, so I can re-do the riveting. Any tip on how to close the gap when pop riveting it? Or do I have to mess around the bend to make them perfectly match without much applied force (e.g. match without clecoing them together)?

Thanks!

30109jn.jpg

Gap in elevator

As long as you cant see any space between the skins where the rivets go through (which means the rivets pulled all the way), I would probably just leave it. Other wise you can drill out the rivets and just un-roll the offending skin with your hands until it flattens out enough. From your picture it looks like the only section that is pulling away from each other is the inboard portion. From the picture it looks acceptable.

Last edited:
I agree

with Aaron. As long as the skins are tight at the rivet, I think you will be OK. Add extra rivets between the plans locations if you are concerned. I did that on the rudder and am happy with the result...

I had the same issue on my rudder--there was a gap between the skins, but only on the bottom 1/3 of the rudder. I beleive it was due to rolling the underlying skin too much. I drilled out those pop rivets and took some of the curve out of the underlying skin. Then I pop riveted it back together and added some extra rivets between the existing ones. Other than the extra rivets, you would never know there had been a problem.

Skyking902001
RV8 QB

Thanks!

Thanks all for your feedback. I drilled out all pop rivets and tweaked the bend on the inside sheet and re-riveted it. It's much better now. Drilling out the aluminum pop rivet is much easier than I thought. I messed up some holes by trying to drilling out pop rivet with steel shank, that makes me hesitate to drill out the rivets in the first place. Thanks again!

Just had the EXACT same thing happen to me, Shawn. I think the rolling is gentler in the root section than it is in the middle and tip sections. Anyway, I over-rolled the root section and wrestled with it all night. Finally did what you did, and also doubled the rivets on the root and center sections....very Van's looking in rivet pitch!

Ah well.....there's GOT to be a better way with these leading edges.

Cheers, and happy new year!

Back