What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gap between mid fuse side skins and bottom

tims88

Well Known Member
I remember seeing a post about this in the past but I can't find it anymore so I apologize that it is probably a duplicate...

I am about to start riveting the side skins to my fuselage and am concerned about the gaps I'm seeing between the bottom rolled edges of the F-1070 mid side skins and the F-1077 mid bottom skin. These pictures are the best I was able to get of the gap. The gaps on either side appear to be about 1.5/64". Any thoughts on if this is normal and whether riveting is likely to pull this together?

I did remember to use my vise grip edge forming tool on these before dimpling so that shouldn't be the issue here.

PXL_20240615_214716160.jpgPXL_20240615_214755567.jpg

The edge rolling tool usually sorts that out however you may need to give it just a touch more. Having used the Vice Grip version to do that edge roll, have you set it too deep? Normally the roll is about halfway between the rivet line and the edge of the skin.

Riveting the skins will certainly bring them together though.

Last edited:
The edge rolling tool usually sorts that out however you may need to give it just a touch more. Having used the Vice Grip version to do that edge roll, have you set it too deep? Normally the roll is about halfway between the rivet line and the edge of the skin.

Riveting the skins will certainlt bring them together though.
Don't touch the edge again if you have already dimpled the holes.
Rivetting will suck the overlap together just fine.

Thanks everyone. Yes the edges have been rolled already. It sounds like riveting will do the trick so I'll just give it a try. Just needed a little reassurance since it's a lot easier to do something about it now than after the first few rivets have been set.

Back