What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GAHco needs some tech Support!

GAHco

Well Known Member
Can someone who has an RV6 taildragger with an 0-320 / IO320 and a whirlwind or MT prop, please tell me how that works out with the weight and balance issues.

I am considering an IO320 with a forward facing sump, using the longer 320 engine mount and one of the composite constant speed propellers and would like to know how that worked out for someone who has already done this or close to this.

I do appreciate any info you are willing to share.:cool:

W&B

Can someone who has an RV6 taildragger with an 0-320 / IO320 and a whirlwind or MT prop, please tell me how that works out with the weight and balance issues.

I am considering an IO320 with a forward facing sump, using the longer 320 engine mount and one of the composite constant speed propellers and would like to know how that worked out for someone who has already done this or close to this.

I do appreciate any info you are willing to share.:cool:

Sorry I can't help out here Tom. Mine is an -8. Maybe in the archives there's some help. If you can, get a 360. You'll like it much better in the hotter climate of Paso Robles.

Thanks for the handbook.

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

It depends a little bit on which tail you have. Do you have the old small tail or the newer counterweighted one?

It'll be light on the front no doubt with a 320 and composite prop, but much better with that C/S over a FP. Try to keep as much stuff Firewall Fwd as possible (for example, put the battery fwd on the firewall and not in the tunnel), etc..

Cheers,
Stein

Thanks.

Hi Tom,

It depends a little bit on which tail you have. Do you have the old small tail or the newer counterweighted one?

It'll be light on the front no doubt with a 320 and composite prop, but much better with that C/S over a FP. Try to keep as much stuff Firewall Fwd as possible (for example, put the battery fwd on the firewall and not in the tunnel), etc..

Cheers,
Stein

Older Tail w/o counterweight.

Will be doing the FW fwd battery, as I have heard gripes on the old in cabin style.

It will be a slider, and I am keeping the paint light to medium weight.

Thanks for the tail counterweight question I forgot about that.

Back