What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GAD 27 causing canbus errors?

David Carter

Well Known Member
Patron
I’ve chased seemingly random canbus issues for most of the last year in my G3X system. One has been an intermittent AP disconnect at random times. Never have found the root cause of that. There’s still a case open with G3Xpert on this. There have been intermittent cases of the GMU 11 (can termination point in tail) going offline & showing 100% network error rate in config mode.

After recently having my shop add the GHA 15 to my system while in for a CI, the GMU 11 failure became constant, from the moment I picked it up. (Long story as to why my schedule didn’t allow me to leave it with them then, which would have been the sensible thing to do.) The main symptom is GMU offline, 100% error rate in config mode, with some transient blips in error rates on some of the other devices.

I’ve spent two entire weekends checking connections, voltages, resistance, etc at various points on the bus, and have found nothing. I redid the connections between the Stein-assembled GHA pigtail & the rest of the harness, taking about 12-13 feet of excess length out of the can bus, thinking that maybe the extra length pushed the bus over a tipping point. This didn’t fix the problem.

I went back to square one today, connected to ground power, pulled every breaker in the panel (except PDF), went into config & starting turning breakers on while watching canbus error rates, primarily on the GMU once it was turned on. Long sequence of events (documented ad nauseam in a note on my phone for future reference) led to a smoking gun - I can now reliably reproduce the error. With every single device other than the GAD 27 turned on, there are no canbus errors. As soon as the GAD 27 is turned on, the GMU error rate pegs to 100%.

However, if I go back to only PFD, AHRS2/GMU, AP servos/GMC, and GHA on, and then turn on the GAD 27, there are no canbus errors.

My conclusion so far is that the GAD 27 is producing the errors, but only if the canbus is “fully populated” above some threshold. Does that make any sense?

I’m open to anyone’s suggestions on how to proceed to fix this. I’m tired of troubleshooting & want to get back to flying.

TIA for any help.

Additional testing turned up more information. From my testing notes:

16 - all breakers on except GAD 27 main & GAD 27 KA - no can errors. Either of these on causes 100% error rate at GMU.

17 - all breakers back off, other than PFD, AHRS2/GMU, AP servos/GMC, and GHA (on fuse, not breaker) - no can errors at GMU.

18 - turn on GAD27 breaker - zero can errors at GMU, GHA, GAD 27

19 - all breakers back off, other than PFD, AHRS2/GMU, AP servos/GMC, and GHA (on fuse, not breaker) - no can errors at GMU.

20 - turn on GAD 27 - no errors

21 - turn on COM2 (GTR 20) - 100% errors at GMU

22 - turning off either GAD 27 or GTR 20, errors go away. Both can’t be on.

23 - everything turned on other than GTR 20 - no errors

So if I leave my GAD 27 or GTR 20 off, I can go fly. I’d prefer to have both, but can live without the COM2 for a bit.

For reference, here’s the canbus connection order:
(right to left to rear)
Roll servo pins 1 & 2 (powered with GMC 507)
GHA 15 (under seat, powered from fuse block?)
GAD27 pins 1 & 2
MFD pins 45 & 46
GAD29 (powered with GPS)
COM2 pins 6 & 7
GMA 245 Audio panel
GMC 507 AP controller pins 3 & 4 (powered with servos)
GSU 2 (powered with GMU)
GSU 1 (powered with GAD13)
PFD
GAD13 (powered with GSU 1)
G5
GEA24
Panel left side breakpoint
Pitch servo pins 1 & 2 (powered with GMC 507)
GMU 11 (powered with GSU 2, can terminator installed)

I had very similar experience with my canbus last year. I checked all my wiring by opening up every backshell 3 times. I finally decided to power up in configuration mode and began removing an LRU one at a time to see if there were any changes in the LRU status. When I removed the connector on my GMA 245, the red X marks started going to solid green checks! This time I REALLY took a hard look at the canbus wires and pins in the 245 backshell. Sure enough, the two wires in the can bus were twisted and reversed in the pin locations. They looked fine the first 3 times I looked, but those times I did not actually pull the backshell wiring fully apart. I reversed those two pins and everything is fine now. I am pretty confident that you have a wiring issue you are missing.

Agree with David, look very closely at the wires going to the failing LRU. Also verify the ground wire to the backshell has continuity. Sometimes the heat shrink solder connector does not melt the solder adequately and a bad connection is formed, or perhaps I should say not formed. Verify that you have true can bus termination at the GMU11. Can bus termination failure will cause this failure and is a highly likely culprit.

On another note, have you discussed these failures with SteinAir? They built your panel so they should have some good advice on troubleshooting this issue. Call them.

Back