What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GA Prop on a Engine setup for CS

snoopyflys

Well Known Member
When I bought my engine (ECI Titan XIO-360) it was setup for a constant speed prop. Since then, I decided to go with a Whirlwind Ground Adjustable prop. Is it possible to not have to punch a hole in the rear crankshaft seal so I can maintain flexibility to go with a CS prop later once I am flying? If so, what tips/techniques do I need to make this so. If not, that’s okNot to successful finding anything on this in the search ( I am slightly search topic challenged):p.

You can run a line from the oil line fitting on the front of the engine to the drain plug (need to put an AN fitting in the plug hole) on the governor mount pad. Thereby allowing oil to flow back into the crank case.

Hope this helps
RD

Continuing with what RD said, the Lycoming SI that might be of interest is 1435. However; they don't make the option very clear. The key is the governor block off plate that allows the oil to flow back to the sump.

This thread may help.

As you have said, with the oil return line (or hose) and proper governor block off plate, you can leave the aft crank plug in place and (more) easily switch back to CS prop.

Believe I am all set…

Thanks for the replies. I have the oil return plumbing from the front of the crankcase to the governor pad and I have the 72378 cover installed. So, hopefully this will do the trick. Once again, thanks for the replies.

Block off plate

I have a fixed pitch catto and no hole in my rear plug; this engine was the configuration from the factory.
Two things:
1) the govenor block off plate must have a groove in it to let the oil get from the tube to the engine.
2) the front plug must be installed to keep the oil from getting to the prop.

Back