What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5 HSI scale

Mtherr

Well Known Member
Patron
I was trying my G5 side by side with my GRT HX and my uAvionix AV-30 yesterday. I found the CDI scale to be quite useless on the G5 (in VFR mode). Seems it is at 5NM per dot while the uAvionix was on a 1NM scale (better) and the HX was on an even smaller scale. I did not find any way in user or setup settings to change this. Is there a way to set the CDI scale on the G5?

I also noticed the ground speed was not shown on the G5 HSI contrary to what I see on many pictures… I had DTK at that location.

(On another note it is sad that the search engine here does not seem to consider two letter words such as G5…. I can’t easily search for past questions regarding that device).

What is your NAV source for the G5, how is it connected to that nav source, and what protocol are you using for the two to communicate?

I would say thank you Dad’s RV10 for the hint for searches.
Today, I wired the RS-232 output of my G5 to my HX so the G5 is now a backup GPS… well that worked out! I played longer with the HSIs and while I will need to get used to it, it does perform good enough. I was able to intercept routes several times.
From a UI standpoint, the AV-30 is superior (but my comment is for VFR as I do not yet have the GAD 29 connected and AV-30 does not yet have HSI Arinc adapter). The AV-30 will indicate distance from course, ground speed and the name of the waypoint. The AV-30 allows us more control on what we see. The G5 advantage is the internal GPS.

I must be a rare owner to have three brands of EFIS next to each other in my panel. :-D

The G5 CDI scale for VFR data sources is actually 5 nm full-scale, not "5 nm per dot" (which would be 10 nm full-scale).

The G5 will show cross-track distance (XTK) when course deviation is greater than full-scale.

The G5 will show groundspeed on its PFD page. For the HSI page it can be assumed that they thought it more important to show the course value, given that whatever source of GPS navigation data is driving the G5 surely has the ability to display groundspeed, flight plan, etc.

Back