What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X with SW fuel senders voltage calibration numbers

AA-ron

I'm New Here
Does anyone have a copy of their downloaded fuel calibration figures from their RV9 / 9A with a G3X and SW senders they would be willing to share? I would imagine it would be an Excel file.

I know it won't be exact for my application on my 9 but it will be close. And, from what I can tell they aren't very accurate when the tank is full or near empty which is why I dip the tanks before each flight.

Thanks. I tried searching to see if this is already posted but no luck.

Sorry, I may not have been exactly clear in how I wrote it. Basically, I was hoping somebody with calibrated SW fuel senders with a G3X would be willing to share the data from the Excel spreadsheet from when they saved their fuel calibration readings and exported them. Or whatever format it exports the data in.

AA-ron...that's one of my favorite Key & Peele sketches. I used to work with a guy named Ba-lah-kay. He was not as fond of that sketch...

Anyway, back on topic, I guess I'm trying to figure out why you don't just do the calibration procedure called out for in the G3X manual. You level the plane, add a little gas at intervals to each tank and push the buttons. It's pretty easy and is surprisingly accurate--even with the SW float sensors. My calibration was all done within the G3X system and there was not a need to use Excel or other external software. Are you trying to avoid emptying the tanks to do that calibration, or am I missing something?

It's a great skit. People remind me of it all the time.

You got me. I'm just trying to avoid emptying the tanks. I figured it'd be close enough since I run with a very large reserves.

Due to dihedral, the top five gallons won't move the float, so that voltage will be the same as 3/4 or so.
You really only need to empty one tank. Run it down, and then drain the last few gallons into a fuel can.
It would be easiest to do that tank calibration at the pump, and then run the other one down and repeat. I did the five gallon fuel can shuffle and it was kind of a pain.

The G3X system provides two different ways to back up the fuel quantity calibration data for a specific aircraft, but these files are not user-editable. I suppose it's possible you could load someone else's backed-up fuel quantity calibration files from a different airplane, but I would never personally do this, would not recommend it to anyone, and wouldn't rate it as a wise plan.

Back