What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch Rebooted in Flight

jcl777

Wondering if anyone else has had this experience. The display's been working flawlessly since I bought the plane in 2019. Garmin's been quick to respond, asking for some info that will have to wait a couple days till I get to the hangar. Here's the scenario...

This is in an RV-12iS (E-LSA).
  1. On 1/28/31 I replaced my GSA 28 servos per Garmin SB 23038 Rev A dtd 5/4/23. Also complied with Vans SL-00055. All went well.
  2. Before flight 1/31/24, I updated the G3X firmware from V9.14 to V9.31. On reboot, I went into Config mode and watched the LRUs update, including the new servos. When that completed, I shut down.
  3. During flight afterwards, I engaged Smart Glide (for the first time), and all seemed well at first. I disengaged the Autopilot. When I pressed the Smart annunciation at the bottom of the display to bring up the Smart Glide screen, the display went black for a few seconds and rebooted.
  4. Later in the flight, I had the autopilot on for a while in HDG, NAV and LVL modes...all functioned as expected. Turned off the autopilot. I re-engaged Smart Glide, subsequently disengaged the autopilot, and touched the annunciation again. This time the expected screen appeared and I cancelled Smart Glide.
I have no idea why the reboot occurred. Very disconcerting!

Check the diagnostics logs (configuration mode, diagnostics, logs) and send to G3xpert for analysis.

Yes, they asked for the Shutdowns info.
The G3Xperts are amazing at pinpointing things if you have a data card in the primary flight display. They will find the reason.

I, too, had an issue using Smart Glide the first time and that was the result of just disconnecting autopilot (as it sounds you did, too) instead of touching the bottom of the display and choosing to cancel Smart Glide. Subsequent tests of Smart Glide were successful and without issues.

My absolute worst nightmare. It's happened to me once on a G3X legacy display on short finals with no other ASI. Subsequently put two steam gauges in, alimeter and ASI. That's the very least you need.

The G3Xperts are amazing at pinpointing things if you have a data card in the primary flight display. They will find the reason.

I, too, had an issue using Smart Glide the first time and that was the result of just disconnecting autopilot (as it sounds you did, too) instead of touching the bottom of the display and choosing to cancel Smart Glide. Subsequent tests of Smart Glide were successful and without issues.
I'd sent them the data logs with my first email. Don't know that it helped them. They responded asking for the Shutdowns info, which I'll get off as soon as I can. I've watched about every video I could find on Smart Glide and disconnecting autopilot while it's active should not be an issue.

Back