What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch Hack - Pitot Temp

bjdecker

Well Known Member
Ambassador
This thread -- https://vansairforce.net/threads/g3xt-advanced-gauge-configuration.229348 got me thinking and as a result I found a somewhat undocumented feature of the G3X Touch.

There is logic in the G3X Touch software that will display a message on the CAS should the OAT drop below 5°C. To enable this, you need an unused GP Input on the GEA 24 or Discrete Input on the GAD 27.

***If you have a GAP 26 -20 Pitot Tube and you followed the configuration guidance in section 30, you should already have this feature/capability. ***

The Hack:
First identify an unused/unconnected DISCRETE or GP input on the GAD 27 or GEA 24

For a GEA 24 GP Input - configure the Input Type for "Active High", the Input Function as "Pitot Temperature" -- the Input State should read "Low Temperature"
For a GAD 27 DISCRETE Input - configure the Input TYpe for "Active Low", the Input Function as "Pitot Temperature" -- the Input State should read "Low Temperature"
Save & Reboot.
Test functionality by applying something very cold (Ice cube, freeze spray) to the OAT probe while watching the PFD/MFD CAS window. At approximately 5°C you will see "PITOT TEMP"

This is NOT documented in the G3X Touch Pilot's Guide and the Installation Guide only mentions it in conjunction with the GAP 26 -20 installation.

Pictures attached...
IMG_6620.jpeg
CAS Caution message - PITOT TEMP
IMG_6624.jpeg
IMG_6623.jpeg
IMG_6625.jpeg

This is NOT documented in the G3X Touch Pilot's Guide and the Installation Guide only mentions it in conjunction with the GAP 26 -20 installation.

Well, since what you are doing is reproducing the configuration for a -20 GAP 26 probe without actually connecting the temperature-sensing discrete output, you can probably see why this is not something they would spend time documenting. But I'm glad your system works the way you want it to.

Back