What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X- How do I get rid of the AOA tone on the ground?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
I calibrated my AOA this morning. While the calibration went well, The tone went solid during my 3 point landing (not unexpected, I guess) but stayed on for probably 5 seconds during the landing rollout.

Is there a way to tell the system that it's on the ground or do I need to re-calibrate it with less margin before the actual stall?

I did search for this before asking the question. Maybe I just missed it, but I didn't see where anybody has brought it up before.

PS- if you have this in your future, here's a tip; set the tone volume to something less than 50%. I thought that would be a nice safe middle of the road volume to start with and it's so loud in my light speed headsets that it's actually painful. I reset it to 30% and am going to give that a try

I calibrated my AOA this morning. While the calibration went well, The tone went solid during my 3 point landing (not unexpected, I guess) but stayed on for probably 5 seconds during the landing rollout.

Is there a way to tell the system that it's on the ground or do I need to re-calibrate it with less margin before the actual stall?

I did search for this before asking the question. Maybe I just missed it, but I didn't see where anybody has brought it up before.

PS- if you have this in your future, here's a tip; set the tone volume to something less than 50%. I thought that would be a nice safe middle of the road volume to start with and it's so loud in my light speed headsets that it's actually painful. I reset it to 30% and am going to give that a try
There is a setting to stop any audio tones below xx knots. This is for a Garmin system. If memory holds, I think 40 knots is the max number that can be used.

See Rev. AV Page 30-37

Last edited:
Actually, the maximum limit for "Disable AOA on Ground Below" is dependent on what you have configured for "Enable AOA Above".

The English Language is imprecise; The Olathe, KS dialect seems to be more so... I think Welsh is easier to understand. :ROFLMAO:

The behaviors I'm looking for, but can't seem to get configured correctly are:

1. The AoA should "show up" when the aircraft is flying above a certain airspeed, say Vs0 - 5kts or so, and not rolling out, or taxiing, or taking off.
2. The AoA should "disappear" when the aircraft is flying above a certain airspeed - maybe 1.5*Vso or so --- (actually, I think this is good, Min Vis AoA parameter)

My numbers are:

Stall Speeds & AoA config“Clean” Vs“Full Flaps” Vs0“Approach Flaps -- 15°” Vs1
V544752
Min Vis AoA (V * 1.5)817178
Caution Alert (V * 1.1)605257
Stall Warning AoA ( V )544752
Approach Target AoA (V * 1.3)706168

Admittedly, I fly faster than I should - but I don't need to get down and off in under 800'. I am typically dropping to 75kias over the fence, the AoA will never appear (Min Vis AoA is 71kias) -- no big deal, I'm flying too fast to care.

The "Disable AoA on Ground Below" value is set at 40kts now -- just a little annoyance while the aircraft decelerates on the roll out (AoA shows up during the flare/round out)
The "Enable AoA above" value is set to 60kts -- another bit of annoyance as the airplane blasts through Vs0 on the way to Vy or 120kias...

I would love for the AoA to shut off when the mains touch the ground regardless of the intended flight condition.

I would love for the AoA to shut off when the mains touch the ground regardless of the intended flight condition.
Well, your system already supports a squat switch... mechanical installation is left as an exercise for the installer!

Well, your system already supports a squat switch... mechanical installation is left as an exercise for the installer!
I’ve thought about it - can’t imagine a mechanism to capture wheel/gear travel to drive a switch. Maybe a wheel speed detector could do similar.

2. The AoA should "disappear" when the aircraft is flying above a certain airspeed - maybe 1.5*Vso or so --- (actually, I think this is good, Min Vis AoA parameter)
Brian, why do you want to discontinue AoA above a certain speed? What about accelerated stalls? Maybe at least keep it active up to V_a.? (something like 2.45 x Vs) *
Above that, you will hit a g limit before an AoA limit. I would think AoA would be very helpful in dogfights.

* 2.45 is sqrt(6), so 6 g's at 2.45 Vs

Brian, why do you want to discontinue AoA above a certain speed? What about accelerated stalls? Maybe at least keep it active up to V_a.? (something like 2.45 x Vs) *
Above that, you will hit a g limit before an AoA limit. I would think AoA would be very helpful in dogfights.

Fair point Steve. However, I just don't operate the aircraft in those regimes. If I were to pull 6g's I'd be hard pressed (literally) to fly the airplane to a particular airspeed -- my mental energy would be on tightening my core, breathing, staying conscious, and trying to unload the a/c...

...also, I prefer the less is more UX on the PFD; less data and symbols distracting me from the task(s) at hand... (One of the reasons I prefer the Garmin over the Dynon.)

Agree with Steve, while practicing steep turns one day at around 120ish knots the AOA started letting me know I need to back off a bit, surprised me that I was getting that close to a stall at that speed!

Back