What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X / GTN 750 wiring questions

jtrollin

Well Known Member
So I have decided to try and build my own wiring harnesses and started to create a visio diagram showing all the pins for each piece of equipment. When adding all the pins for the GTN 750 it looks like there are large sections I will not need, but not real sure how to verify that.

From looking at the manual it appears I will not use the GTN NAV P1004 at all, as I will not have an HSI or VOR head, is this correct?

It also seems the GTN P1001 there is a lot of pins I will not use, but again not sure how to verify so I can remove them from my already busy diagram.

Any pointers on where to find this type of info would be great, as weeding through the various install guides I can mark what I know I need, but not what I Know I dont need.

thanks,

Steinair

Steinair can do a computerized schematic for you. It will cost for the nice poster sized schematic but it is easy to follow.

Give them a call tomorrow to discuss options.

Schematic

I also paid Stein for a schematic and wired the panel myself. It was worth every penny. I now have a nice electronic version too I can reference.
I have the G3x system too but not the GTN stuff....I'm jealous.

Modern avionics often don't need all the connections that are there to support the old stuff. Good advice about getting a schematic from Stein if you are not comfortable with reading tons of technical stuff and figuring out how to integrate!

As Brantel said - there will be LOS of connections that you won't use, so don't be concerned. Modern avionics with serial connections are so much easier to wire than old analog stuff - power, ground, serial connections and (yuck) audio.

I was fortunate in wiring my G3X/430W system in that I had a good wiring diagram from which I could crib (it came from a Garmin guy). I think that checking with Stein on the cost of a diagram would be worth wile - it will either be a no-brainer to purchase, or a motivator to study the system harder yourself....

Paul

My concern is that I will go through all the manuals and examples, build the harness and realize I missed a wire or two once it is all installed. I would go buy a diagram, but wanted to try and wade through it myself as I have the time and want to learn what all is going on. I wish the manuals had better descriptions of the pins, but I guess if you do it for a living that would be unnecessary.

Just ask away here on the forum....plenty of us have been there done that so help is right here.... You can do it!

G3X / GTN750 wiring

From looking at the manual it appears I will not use the GTN NAV P1004 at all, as I will not have an HSI or VOR head, is this correct?

John,

The latest Rev F version of the G3X installation manual added some example wiring diagrams for connecting single or dual GTN6XX/7XX navigators to the Garmin G3X and configuring both systems to use these connections.

You will notice in the drawing on page F-7 that there are indeed a couple of wires from P1004 that should be connected between the GTN 750 and the GSU73.

Let us know if you have any questions regarding these connections.

Steve

Last edited:
Schematic

Even though Stein made my schematic, I new what every single wire did. You have to make each wire and run so you investigate everything. Garmin manuals are great and have every answer in them if you actually read them. Like LongEZ states, look at the G3X manual showing the connections at the end. It usually shows everything. What really helped from Stein was the wires you can splice and run to multiple boxes instead of making each run separately, switches and ELT, A/P... Also, they helped with the GTS800 that Garmin didn't have in the G3X manuals.

John, I just wanted to add that you can always add pins after the fact. It is really not that difficult. OK, it could be difficult depending on the accessibility of your radio racks. I had to add several wires after I made up my harnesses; it is just a matter of crimping a socket to an AWG22 wire and inserting it into the back of the connector in the radio rack and then threading the wire into the wire bundle. Yes, it can be a bit of a hassle but certainly doable in the event you leave a pin out by mistake. :)

Back