What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Crossfill

marchudson

Well Known Member
Just bought a 7 with Garmin equipment and have some questions.

The system consists of a G3X touch and a GTN 750.

I'm able to connect to the G3X with my iPad via bluetooth.

Once connected, I can transfer a flight plan to the G3X using Garmin Pilot as long as the G3X is set to internal GPS. The flight plan gets transferred to the G3X but not to the GTN 750. When I switch the G3X to external GPS, the flight plan get lost.

If I load flight plan into the GTN 750 manually it will get transferred to the G3X when it is set to external GPS. When I switch the G3X to internal GPS, it retains the flight plan.

It appears that flight plans are getting transferred from the GTN to the G3X but not the other way around .

In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWsPYuC9j_w he is able to transfer flight plans from an iPad to both the G3X and the GTN.

What am I missing?

Thanks
Marc

There's a setting in the navigator called something like "accept external flight plans". Make sure that's enabled.

There was a setting in the GTN that I changed to allow external flight plan changes but this didn't help.

Went back and looked at the schematic from Stein and it looks like the GTN has a serial out to the G3X but no serial in from the G3X. I'm assuming this is the problem.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks
Marc

Went back and looked at the schematic from Stein and it looks like the GTN has a serial out to the G3X but no serial in from the G3X. I'm assuming this is the problem.

You will want to verify that the interfaces between your G3X system and your GTN are wired and configured in accordance with Figure 24-2.20 in the current G3X installation manual (revision AU).

If you are lacking the bidirectional Connext RS-232 interface, you will not be able to send flight plan data from your GDU 4xx to your GTN.

If the MapMX RS-232 interface between your GTN and your GDU 4xx is one-way only, your GDU will be able to receive flight plan data from the GTN, but you will not have the option to control the COM and NAV radios on the GTN from the GDU display, as this requires a bidirectional MapMX RS-232 interface (refer to sections 30.4.27 and 30.4.28).

Thanks Matt
Tomorrow at the hangar I'll check out the functionality or lack there of. Right now I know that flight plans are a one way street, from the GTN to the G3X. Hopefully I don't have to run another serial wire from the GTN to the G3X. Not going to be fun.

Matt looks like you are correct. The system is not wired according to Figure 24-2.20.

Currently the GTN 750 has the following RS232 connections:

RS232 Out 1 ----------> GTX23ES In 2
RS232 In 1 Not connected
RS232 Out 2 ------------> GMA 35 Audio
RS232 In 2 <-------------- GMA 35 Audio
RS232 Out 3 ------------> GDU 460 In 4
RS232 In 3 Not connected
RS232 Out 4 ------------> ELT
RS232 In 4 Not Connected

So my plan is to connect the following: (changes in red)
RS232 Out 1 ----------> GTX23ES In 2 & ELT
RS232 In 1 Not connected
RS232 Out 2 ------------> GMA 35 Audio
RS232 In 2 <-------------- GMA 35 Audio
RS232 Out 3 ------------> GDU 460 In 4
RS232 In 3 <------------ GDU 460 Out 4
RS232 Out 4 ------------> GDU 460 In 3 Mapmx
RS232 In 4 <------------- GDU 460 Out 3 Mapmx

I'm assuming the GTX23ES and ELT take the same format so I need to verify this.

Option 2 would be to leave the ELT connected to RS232 out 4 of P1001 and use RS232 # 5 of P1005 of the GTN for Mapmx.

Anyone see a problem with this plan?

Thanks
Marc

I'm assuming the GTX23ES and ELT take the same format

No, this is not correct. The RS-232 format used by the GTN to provide GPS data to your GTX 23ES is the "ADS-B+" format, whereas the RS-232 format accepted by your 406 MHz ELTs will be the "Aviation" format.

Your GDU 4xx can also provide "Aviation" formatted RS-232 data to your ELT.

Personally speaking, in an airplane equipped with a panel like this I don't have a lot of use for an iPad. So I would just change the MapMX RS-232 connection to be bidirectional, allowing better integration of the COM and NAV radios with the G3X system. Use your avionics and put the personal entertainment device in your flight bag, or give it to passengers to watch cartoons on...

Personally speaking, in an airplane equipped with a panel like this I don't have a lot of use for an iPad. So I would just change the MapMX RS-232 connection to be bidirectional, allowing better integration of the COM and NAV radios with the G3X system. Use your avionics and put the personal entertainment device in your flight bag, or give it to passengers to watch cartoons on...

Hear hear! :D

Software version

Check your sw version. From the installation manual:

Updated for software version 8.50 and 8.60
Added Automatic Sharing of G3X Touch Flight Plans with External IFR
Navigators

Back