What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FWF left Vent SCAT Hose and AFP FI issue

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
Folks,
I have an AFP throttle body (FM 200) that has the mixture control arm on the left side. The problem is the left Vent SCAT hose runs very close to the control arm and will most likely vibrate into it over time which will eventually wear a hole in the SCAT -- the hose is installed exactly per the plans with only one intermediate support off of Cyl 2 induction pipe. So the way I see it I have 2 options:

1. RTV some baffle or similar material over the potential wear area to act as anti-chafe, or

2. Add another SS clamp to hold the SCAT off the mixture arm -- the big problem here is the only 2 viable locations to anchor the clamp are both off the exhaust itself (off of one of the bolts holding the riser to the collector or off of one of the three bolts holding the collector to the muffler). I'm concerned that the heat transfer through the clamp would be too hot for the SCAT.

Anyone with an AFP FI system faced this same issue?

Last edited:
I have a non-standard FM200 installation. Mine is horizontal, so I didn't experience what you are seeing now. From the photos on my site it appears that I don't have a support further back. I'll be out at the hangar tonight, I'll take a look to see what I did.

It's amazing how quickly you forget some of the build details after you start flying.

Although my installation does not use the forward air intake intended for the left heat muff you could use the threaded hole in the bottom of the oil pan for a stand off to secure your scat hose. I used mine for the governor cable but it would work well for the scat hose too if you bring it forward as per Vans plans.
I opted for a second 2" air intake on the right upper baffle portion. A lot of air is getting robbed on the left side by the oil cooler and 2x2'' somewhat balances the loss of cooling air.
I've been very happy with my CHTs and engine cooling overall.

IMG_2022.JPG

IMG_2025.JPG

BMP%25202.jpg

Ernst,
What model of IO-540 do you have? I have a C4B5 and don't recall a threaded hole in the sump at that location, but I'll look tomorrow when I'm back at the hangar.

Back