What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fwd Fuselage Channel Rivet Problem

Flandy10

Well Known Member
For all SB Fuselage builders- How did you get the F-1040 lower fwd rivet and F-1041 top fwd rivet installed?

I trimmed the F-1001D+M using a 45 degree cut as allowed in the plans but still couldn't reach. Called Van's and Joe said trim it about 1in. on aft edge but that still isn't enough for any offset rivet set I have. He recommended using a screw and nut instead of a rivet in those holes.

Any suggestions?:confused:

I'll let you know...

as I will start riveting my favorite(next to fuel tanks) Section 29 tomorrow morning. Just finished priming longerons/misc.

Follow Van's Instructions

Put in a screw and be done with it in 5 minutes.
Or you can spend all weekend trying to get that rivet set and it won't be perfect in that location. See picture, its passable but shows a half moon imprint from a less than straight rivet set.
There is more than one reason they call them SB.;)

IMG_1323.JPG

I trimmed and retrimmed the flanges of the firewall angles till I could get my rivet set on those rivets. Figure out where to trim so as to remove the interference. It is indeed a pain, as you have to then go back and deburr the trimmed flanges, but in the end it all worked out for me.

Took about 30 sec with the right tools and rivets...

Taper the firewall angle about 1.5" down to provide clearance. You will need 1 ea MSP-42 or 43(from ACS), manual or pneumatic pop riveter, 3/16" alum scrap that we used to pop rivet HS-1008L & R beveled to approx 10 degree angle(this allows pop riveter to set at an angle to the surface). Put a 10 degree bend in rivet stem before inserting in hole. I used pneumatic squeezer with no hole yoke on most of the remaining rivets, but had to have manual squeezer for a few with too little squeezer clearance. Have fun. Let me know if you need anything. P.S.- I moved from Winder, Ga back in 2000. Miss the Atlanta area.

Back