What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FW Recess Interferes with Rudder Pedal Brace

Mike F

I searched thru the archives and couldn't find any info on this. I have one of the early QB fuselages (s/n 031) and I'm starting to mount the rudder pedals. The rudder pedal brace (F-6118) that supports the pedal assemby in the middle is supposed to be rivetted to the firewall stiffner (F-601). My fuselage came preassembled with the firewall recess already installed. Now there is no easy way to mount the brace to the stiffner because the recess blocks access to the rivets.

I attached a couple of pics to help clarify the problem. Removing the recess would require a great deal of work and I know there must be a better way. Any suggestions?

recess01.jpg

recess02.jpg

I don't think there would even be enough clearance for the tail of a blind rivet. I don't see that you have many options.

I'd drill the recess out. It really won't take that long (but I've had lots of practice!). The resulting gaping hole is very handy when wiring, systems install, etc. Postpone reinstalling the recess until you can't put off permanently installing the engine mount.

Klugy way: use a piece of 3/4 x 3/4 x .06 angle long enough to receive the brace and install it over the top of the firewall angle, kinda like a doubler. Watch out for rivet head/tool clearances. You'll still have to drill out a few rivets. Side to side and fore/aft positioning of the brace isn't critical so you have some latitude for fit up

John Siebold

How about putting a spacer between the recess and the angle and using a longer rivet to go thru the whole thing?

Bill

Last edited:
scard said:
I don't think there would even be enough clearance for the tail of a blind rivet. I don't see that you have many options.

Scott may be right, but I'm not so sure. I remember looking at mine and wondering if I ever had to redo it for some reason in the future, would I be able to use a blind rivet. I think you might. It depends on how accurately centered your firewall recess was centered in the firewall opening. This would seem like an ideal location for the pulled rivets since the bracket is really only there to support the rudder pedals. Still, if it looks like it might be possible, I'd check with Van's first.

HOLD ON!!!

Mike--
I just looked at your pictures. If you're fuselage is like the -9, which it should be, you're trying to put the rudder support bracket on the wrong side of the vertical firewall angle. The -9 plans have you put the rudder support bracket on the outboard face of the angle, not between the angle and recess. If you put it outboard, that should (or would more likely) give you more room for pulled rivets. Perhaps the -7 is different in this regard, but look at the rudder pedal drawing and I think you'll see what I mean.
Good luck.

Yep, I know it goes on the other side but I just hung it there for the photo.

After about 6 hours of thinking about it and a couple of glasses of wine, I believe the best solution is to drill out enough rivets to slide the recess down and out of the way. I just finished doing about 2000 rivets on the wing so this should be pretty simple. Guess I just hated undoing something that was already done. I sent the question into Van's and I'll post their recommendations. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions...

Get ready for drilling our more rivets in the firewall if you haven't already started mounting stuff on the firewall.

My QB 7A didn't have the insert riveted in from Van's. If it isn't prosealed in, you want to remove it & seal it up before permanent riveting. With the insert out, you can use flush rivets to get a really nice fit when you re-install it.

Derrell
Alpharetta, GA
7A Finish

Back