What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage to Flap Gap Help please

Vonsmallhousen

Can anyone tell me the gap that is required between the fuselarge and the top surface of the flap. I have trimed the top surface to get the flap moving to full up with a gap of about 1/32. Is this enough or is a greater gap required?

Thanks Vonsmallhousen:)

check the movement of the flap in the hinge

i used 3/32... check how much movement you have in the flap back and forth from the hinge. for me there is about 1/32 play in the hinge so i have a minimum clearance of 1/16 to a maximum of 3/32.

At first, I made mine too tight (~1/32") and I ended up with a wear mark on the sides of the fuselage. Between the left/right slop in the hinge and wing flexing during flight 1/32" was not enough. Opened it up to 3/32 and all is fine...

Now Riverts fowl on the fuslarge skin

I have now trimed the flap skin with a gap of 3/32 and are finding that the riverts on the FL-706A and the FL-706B are touching on the fuselarge skin.

Checked the Aileron and flap gap and in is 1/4 inch. The only way I can see to fixed the problem is drill the riverts out and put in AN426AD4-7 flush riverts with the flush head on the inboard side. I are having to do it to both flaps.

Has anyone else had this problem

Last edited:
Flush rivets

I installed my flaps with 1/4" between them and the aileron on my RV-7A. I then had to trim the inboard flap top skin to clear the fuselage. I carefully cut back a little at a time. I wanted to get somewhere between 1/16-1/8" gap. I found the heads of the 470 rivets holding the flap brackets to the flap were very close if not touching the fuselage skin. I replaced the top two 470 rivets with 426's. Solved my problem.

Back