What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage section 22

Fuel tank sealant is required between the lower firewall and the shelf. Vans offers the sealant in 1 oz, 3 oz, and 1 quart sizes. Is the one ounce size enough for this application?

My thoughts

If you are building at a fast enough rate that you will be getting to the fuel tank before the sealant shelf life expires, then I'd buy the quart. If you don't get the tank perfect first time, you will need more. Depends upon your build speed I would say.

John Bender

Firewall shelf...

Fuel tank sealant is required between the lower firewall and the shelf. Vans offers the sealant in 1 oz, 3 oz, and 1 quart sizes. Is the one ounce size enough for this application?

I did the firewall shelf with 1 oz and had a little left over.

The 1 oz. er's are a bit spendy at 8 bucks ea. but are real handy. I bought several of them but I figured out later that I was building fast enough that I should have just bought the quart and mixed small portions as needed. Like said above you can put it in the frige or freezer and it should remain good for a long time.

Tony

Since we're admitting what we we would do differently....I would also change the way I did my West Epoxy. Instead of using a scale, I would buy the measured pump that you can get for the resin and the hardener. Would have been easier to do smaller amounts etc.

Using a bakers icing bag and a #7 frosting tip makes a real neat way to dispense the sealant in a nice fillet. A plastic bad with the corner cut off will work also. Makes quick, clean work of laying a fillet of sealant in the corners. Use the end of a pop-cycle stick to smooth the fillet out like caulking in your tub.

Please don't tell my wife I stole her cake decorating supplies and used them on my plane. :eek:

Last edited:
Re:sealant.

A one-ounce amount is more than enough to do this job. If you work ahead two pages and get the other parts that need sealed ready you can do both with one ounce. Being slow, I bought 2 one-ounce kits and used one for each.

Wayne 120241

Thanks for the advise guys. I ordered the 1 ounce size and will try to do all the parts together. If not, I will order more. Thanks again.

Back