What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Revisions

Revisions

...and I had those revisions, I think of some of the frustrations that I WOULDN'T have had...but that's why we're 'Beta' testers.
Meade and George
#16;)

Wing revisions 13-03

In addition to fuselage revisions, they also posted several wing plans revisions. Has anyone else noted that on page 13-03, the change is a requirement for 3 wing spar rivets to be LP4-4 rather than LP4-3 as per the original plans? I have not gone out to study my completed wings to see if these are accessible- they appear to be on the most inboard attach angle so replacement might be possible. If they are not accessible, I wonder how critical this difference is.

Rev number

I wish Vans would include the rev number on the site as well since some of their previous revs have been superseded by newer ones.

...they also posted several wing plans revisions. Has anyone else noted that on page 13-03, the change is a requirement for 3 wing spar rivets to be LP4-4 rather than LP4-3 as per the original plans?
This brings up an interesting question. As we have to build the RV-12 exactly per the plans, how will Van's reconcile these differences? Has anyone had any communication with Van's pertaining to this and future plan changes that would be nearly impossible to implement without major disassembly?

A letter

This brings up an interesting question. As we have to build the RV-12 exactly per the plans, how will Van's reconcile these differences? Has anyone had any communication with Van's pertaining to this and future plan changes that would be nearly impossible to implement without major disassembly?

All Vans needs to do is write a letter. Should be no problem

Plans Revisions

I think it would be helpful to have a description of the change(s) in the
title block of revisions. This was the usual practice with paper plans.
An example would be page 15-05. I cannot id the change in this drawing.

Most of us only have the ability to print out 8-1/2 X 11 pages, making
for difficult reading of revisions.

Agree, disagree?

Sam

agree

Sam,
I agree with you. I have not seen any printers that will go 11 inches wide in the stores anymore. I use to have a dot matrix one that would do that but it has been retired to the scrap heap a long time ago.

Identify the changes

I fully agree...a few of those changes are on pages that have hundreds of items: what is it that was changed? It really needs to spelled out to save a lot of time and frustration.

Just downloaded all of the revisions and merged all of the .pdf files into a single file using a free/open source program available at www.pdfsam.org Will transfer the single file to a flashdrive and take it to Kinko's. Staples may do the same but have not checked with them. Kinko's has told me they can print it on 11x17" paper via the flashdrive. Don't have an idea what they are charging, but will report back. Just an idea.

Just downloaded all of the revisions and merged all of the .pdf files into a single file using a free/open source program available at www.pdfsam.org Will transfer the single file to a flashdrive and take it to Kinko's. Staples may do the same but have not checked with them. Kinko's has told me they can print it on 11x17" paper via the flashdrive. Don't have an idea what they are charging, but will report back. Just an idea.

Can you just e-mail the revisions to Kinkos and have them print them out? I have no idea how to put a file into a "single file".

If we continue this thread it will be closed. The mods don't like us talking about computers, flash drives, MPS players, ETC.

Last edited:
Revisions

You Guys are making this way to difficult. Simply down load all the files you want printed onto a flash drive and take it to Staples or Kinkos or Office Depot. They can print them on 11 X 17. Paper. $3. Dont worry about merging them. J

email highlighting changes

I fully agree...a few of those changes are on pages that have hundreds of items: what is it that was changed? It really needs to spelled out to save a lot of time and frustration.

I received an email yesterday from Vans that actually highlighted where the changes were on the pages affected by the most recent revisions. For some reason, it only highlighted the fuselage page changes (despite the fact I already have the wings as well, albeit already done). In any event, this was helpful and it is the first time I have gotten such an email from them.

Back