What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Plans mistake page 23-08

Mich48041

Well Known Member
Friend
I learned my lesson while cutting the hinges for the seat. So I was very careful to cut the hinges EXACTLY as illustrated in figure 1. But when I got to step 3 and figure 3 (23-08 Rev 1) I realized that the hinges have the tab sticking out of the wrong end. The hinges shown in Figure 1 are cut with the tabs on opposite ends compared to Figure 3 , even though they are supposed to be illustrations of the same part. Luckily I saved the hinges that I cut incorrectly for the seat and I can use those and not have to order new hinges. I assume that figure 3 is correct and figure 1 is drawn incorrectly. I will call Van's to verify that before proceeding further.
Joe

Answered my own question

Luckily I realized my mistake before calling Van's and making a fool of myself. Of course there are 105 people on Van's Airforce who read my posting. LOL After studying figure 3, I realized that the hinges on each side are not the same. There is a left and a right, assuming that the tab on each side is at the bottom. I was able to use one hinge-half from step 1 and one hinge half that I had saved from the seat back. And just like the seat hinge, my advice to anyone cutting hinges is to cut it 1/2 inch longer than called out. Doing that will give the option of having the tab at either end.
Joe

Back