What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Outboard Seat Rib - Dimple?

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I am on Step 26-5 of putting the Mid Fuse Ribs and bulkheads together. Step 6 on that page tells you to dimple the exterior #40 holes in the web of the outboard seat ribs in the F-1018-L (and -R). However, there is a similar piece just in front of that same bulkhead and with the same exterior contour - the F-1015A-L (and -R). It has you treat this like any other piece and never mentions dimpling these same web holes. In the picture below you can see these two pieces. Should this piece be dimpled for the skin later on?

https://skydrive.live.com/#!/?cid=3...879AB2ED26&id=3B3E6F879AB2ED26!2254&sc=photos

Charlie

Unfortunately i'm not that much further ahead and haven't fitted the side skins yet. but yes I treated the 1015A ribs the same and dimpled them as well as it would be very difficult later. Also the 1018 ribs need quite a bit of fluting top and bottom as they curve.

hope that helps

Peter

I just looked in ours and they are dimpled except the row of rivet holes that go somewhat diagonally (for the wing fairing).

Also do not dimple the double row at the front of the ribs which goes inside the upright channel. There's a side plate that goes around the spar there that will get countersunk for the skin. So, also do not countersink or dimple the vertical channel (F-1004D). Do be sure you countersink the intercostal ribs to accept the dimpled F-1015.

Hi Charlie,

This part of pplans bit me too - i didn't note that the dimpling step was not included in the plans, so needed to do it after the fact - If I recall had to take out a line of rivets to access it....

Phil
Salt Lake City
RV-10, installing engine
Just bought a hangar!

God yes! Do yourself a huge favor and dimple not only all of the #40 holes in those 1015 ribs (except the double vertical row on the forward joggle) but the #40 holes on the outboard flange of the 1015 intercostals as well. I don't know how I missed it, but I did and is was a pain to go back and fix it. Doable, but still a pain nevertheless.

I got sloppy yesterday as I was working and accidentally picked up the wrong rib to dimple - I dimpled F-1015 instead of F-1018.
Thought I made a big mistake. Now I realize I'm not the only one who had questions in this area.

I'll go back and dimple both, but also wanted to publicly thank Justin Twilbeck for his details regarding orientation of the vertical tab on both (or at least being brave enough to admit a mistake). Huge help from both this site and Justin's blog - thanks guys!

http://buildingrv10.blogspot.com/2012/10/fuselage-frustration.html

Section 26-5 recommendation

I definitely want to echo the thanks to Justin (and others) who warned of problems with this step. It's been a huge help building in the footsteps of so many who documented their builds so clearly. Unfortunately in our case, we never read up on any of them for this particular problem until we had already made the same mistake with the dimples and were trying to install the side skins :eek:

Because we got bit pretty good on this section, I'll throw a shameless plug for our own blog too... I've made a list of suggested steps to complete in Section 26-5 that will hopefully make life easier in future sections, if you care to have a look!

http://mikeandsarahrv10.blogspot.com/2015/07/fuse-side-skins_12.html
(towards the bottom of this relatively long post, the part that starts with "In summary, here's what I believe really should happen during Section 26-5, somewhere between steps 1-6")

Hope this can be of some help!

Back