What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Order of doing things...RV 12

rogerbarlee

I'm New Here
Here is a copy of an email sent to Vans which I will share with others FWIW!
This is how I built the fuse before putting the sides on....(after consulitng Vans who advised they could see no reasons why not, and thats how it worked out.)

Hi (Vans)--further to my last email where i said i would let you know how the change of order of doing things went, before the sides went on.

Basically what I saw was that it would be easier to do as much as possible before I put the sides on.
As you know in the tunnel there 3 layers so I started at the botton and worked my way up completing the fuel runs from the firewall to the tank.

Then I laid all the wiring looms, and terminated 1 end where possible-eg head set jacks.Also auto pilot servos were installed and wired.

Next the rudder pedals and brakes, landing gear, wheels and brake plumbing were installed.

Then control sticks, mixer unit, push rods and flaperon arms at the rear.

Next were flaperon handle, and seat backs followed by cables-both rudder & stab. And finally the fuel tank was put together and fitted to its plumbing, then removed.

All this took exactly 1 month and was done at bench height,from the sides or ends so everything was really accessible..am really glad I did it this way.

Anyway that was my experience for what its worth.

Regards roger

Last edited:
I found that installing the rudder pedals on the S/S shelf before riveting the shelf in place was very helpful. I was able to do the whole job right on the bench. I think it saved a lot of effort.

I also found it is much easier to install the wings and fit all the push rods prior to installing the tail cone. You can stand up behind the fuselage and looking stright down mark and drill your flaperon toqure tube fitting. VERY EASY!:)

Back