What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage - order of assembly

Dgamble

Well Known Member
My shop situation is such that I can build in my basement up until such time as parts get too big to egress through the cellar door. From that point I have to move to the hangar. As I'm reading through the fuselage kit plans that I received today, it appears that I won't have to move to the hangar until section 24 when the when the rollover structure goes on and, of course, section 25 when the tailcone gets attached.

In looking ahead to sections 27 (rudder pedals and brakes), 28 (fuel system), and possibly 29 (Fwd Upper section) it seems that those could be done before sections 24 and 25. Am I missing something that would keep me from doing it in that order?

That's the way I did it. Worked out fine. I was able to easily roll the fuselage structure on its side to work on wiring and fuel systems.

I do not see any problems doing what you suggest. Build the rudder pedals and the brakes on the bench and then if you wish, trial fit them and then remove. Install them at the latest possible moment as they interfere a bit with the wiring. Certainly, do not final install the turtledeck skins and the rear window (trial fitting is OK) until you are at the airport and performing the final assembly. I riveted the trurtledeck skins and installed the rear windows a few days before the DAR inspection.

That will work

But I riveted on the turtledeck and fitted the rear window today since the rear glass must be in place to get the proper canopy fit.

Wayne 143WM

But I riveted on the turtledeck and fitted the rear window today since the rear glass must be in place to get the proper canopy fit.

I fitted the canopy with the rear window and side skins clecoed in place, and removed them after. Like Marty, I will install them permanently at the last moment.

Wayne 143WM

You will be OK. Just easier my way. Read ahead!!!! Cleco's work just as well as rivets.

Last edited:
Back