What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage length

HBpilot

I am considering building a RV7a, but need some advice.
I have a 2 cars garage with one car in it. The garage is about 23ft long.
I was thinking of building the tail and the main part of the fuselage in there. Is it too tight to do so ? What about when it comes time to install the engine ?
Can you delay the installation of the tail ?
I am trying to keep the cost as low as possible and would like to wait as long as possible before renting a hangar.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Two car garage

A two car garage is very adequate to build an airplane. you will be able to get most of the work done on one side of the garage. you might have to take over the whole garage when you attatch your wings. Hanging the engine you only need one car slot. A possible factor is how tall is the ceiling? And is it a double door or single door? Depending on HS width it might be a tad tight pulling out a single car door is all. People have built these planes in their front rooms, like an RV 3.

Allan Stern RV 8A
0-360, C/S Hartzell, GRT EFIS

Piece of cake. I'm building mine in a 1 car garage. Now that I am working on the fuselage it is getting a bit tight but I can manage. Going to put it on a 'rotisserie' as soon as I flip the canoe. If you have somewhere to store the wings and empenage it will help.
The fuselage, without engine mount or tail feathers, is about 14' long.

Happy building,
Dave

Thank you for your advice.
After reading my message, I realized that maybe it wasn't so clear.
I have a 2 car garage and I will keep one car in it. Anyway, I will give it a shot, rearrange the place. I can't wait to join the RV builder community. I have been reading a lot of builder blogs, messages on this forum and I am very impressed by the solidarity and the humility of everybody. I am trying to get in touch with builders in my area without success so far. We'll see...

Welcome aboard the good ship VAF Serge!

If you put a little more information about yourself (name, location) in a signature block on your posts, I bet you get in contact with local builders pretty fast! Until then, we don't know what "local" means.

Paul

Welcome aboard the good ship VAF Serge!

If you put a little more information about yourself (name, location) in a signature block on your posts, I bet you get in contact with local builders pretty fast! Until then, we don't know what "local" means.

Paul

Point taken :) I will update.

Building in a Horizontal Attic....

My "two car" garage, sans the cars, is not quite as deep as user's but I figure my -7a will fit less the wings and nose cone. I should have about 3'' lengthwise to spare, with the engine and emp installed. Also, the rudder stands about 7' so I am hoping that it clears the finished ceiling :eek:.

Good luck with your build and enjoy the process.

Regards,

A major advantage in building it in your garage is the amount of time you can spend building. I built mine in the garage and was able to fly in less than 14 months after starting which included the paint. The main reason was that I could build every day. Now that it is in the hanger, a small amount of work involves much more time since it has the round trip time to the airport added to it. Also, the tail does not have to stay on, as soon as it is fitted, it can and probably should be unbolted and stored else where.
Anyway good luck and enjoy the journey.

Back