What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Kit has Arrived

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
I picked up my fuselage kit today from the ABF terminal. Picking up the kit was quick and painless. The crate arrived in top-notch shape. They dropped it into the back of my truck with a forklift and I was on my way home.

Getting the crate out of the truck and into the garage on my own was quite a bit more work, but I got it done.

Inventory is complete, looks like I am only missing one bolt, not bad at all. According to my check-sheet I am missing a hardware bag also, but I believe that may be an oversite on my part. I will dig back in and see if I can find it.

While performing my inventoy, I came across the RV-7 firewall bits that are also used on the -6. I can't believe the level of finish these parts have. They are practically ready to rivet right out of the box. The angle is even machined to shape! All I can say is wow, I'm a bit jealous.

cimg4013q.jpg

cimg4015u.jpg

Congrats!!

I did basically the same thing with my fuse kit - but I didn't even attempt to unload it out of the back of my truck solo. I simply opened the crate right there in the pickup bed, and inventoried the kit as I removed items one by one and placed them in storage in my shop. The empty crate was a piece o' cake to deal with after that...

Next week I get to do that all over again with my finish kit!

Congrats. You probably currently hold the record for the oldest emp/newest fuselage combination for a -6.

Congrats!!

I did basically the same thing with my fuse kit - but I didn't even attempt to unload it out of the back of my truck solo. I simply opened the crate right there in the pickup bed, and inventoried the kit as I removed items one by one and placed them in storage in my shop. The empty crate was a piece o' cake to deal with after that...

Next week I get to do that all over again with my finish kit!

I would have done the same, but I need to put up some more shelves to store the fuselage bit. I pulled the parts out one at a time to take inventory and then put everything back in the crate. Once the wings are done, I will take the opportunity to reorganize the garage before starting on the fuse.

In case there is a new builder wondering: other than the few RV-7 interchange parts (firewall and brake pedal assembly), none of the RV-6 fuselage kit is pre-punched. I wasn't sure in the fuselage skins came prepunched, now I know that they don't.

Back