What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage interior paint

Tom Delaney

Well Known Member
Good Morning,

I will be using the full upolstry package offered for the -12 and would like to paint only the areas not covered by the side panels, carpet etc.

I would like to paint as many of the parts together as possible in order to save time. Does anyone have a list or can suggest to me what parts will needed to be painted. Several are obvious looking at builders photos but don't want to miss anything.

Also can someone provide the manufacturer and number for a nice gray interior paint color

Thanks

Tom
Fuselage started Dec 1, 2011

I like the Sherwin Williams Jet-Flex water based polyurethane based on previous VAF postings.

One part and non-toxic to spray.

http://www.alliancecoatings.com/jetflexwr.php

You can get any color mixed but the link above will get you a standard color chart with one phone call - and it's not even expensive...:)

Last edited:
It worked out very well for me to paint the fuselage tub right before attaching the side skins. Paint the forward fuselage assembly interior before you attach it as a sub-piece. Paint the inside of the side skins before you rivet them on. Paint the roll bar separately before you attach it (assuming you paint it interior, rather than exterior, color).
Home Depot has a nice self-etching aluminum primer and medium-dark gray.

It worked out very well for me to paint the fuselage tub right before attaching the side skins. Paint the forward fuselage assembly interior before you attach it as a sub-piece. Paint the inside of the side skins before you rivet them on. Paint the roll bar separately before you attach it (assuming you paint it interior, rather than exterior, color).
Home Depot has a nice self-etching aluminum primer and medium-dark gray.

This is excellent advice, especially if you are using rattle cans to paint the interior. It is almost impossible to eliminate the overspray with the sideskins attached. I would also encourage anyone painting the compete interior to paint the parts of the forward fuselage assembly before assembly.
Bruce

Back