What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage F-29C Angle

macrafic

Well Known Member
How did you guys take a 90 degree piece of angle and create an 88.5 degree for the F-29C (plan drawing 26)?

Did you have a belt sander that you could adjust and simply grind down one or both sides (making the angle a bit thinner at one end)? Any other methods that don't require a belt sander?

This is a short piece of angle IIRC...I put it in the vice with the vertex an eighth of an inch or so above the vice clamp, and then used my deadblow mallet to tighten up the angle. DOESN'T TAKE MUCH!! No mar inserts are a plus for the vice, but not completely neccesary.

I just did mine this morning before work pretty much the same way as Chad. The 88.5 degrees equates to 1/32" of bend at the end of the leg (the engineer in me forced me to calculate it). I put one leg of the angle in my vise, put a small block of wood on the other leg, and gave it a couple of whacks with my hammer.

Thanks guys. Never occurred to me that you could actually bend the angle. I'm not inclined to think about "brute force" methods during consruction. That is probably good, but sometimes can mask the obvious!

Back