What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Confusion - Need some help.

cstanley

I need some help. Pg 28-2 Fig 3 shows the F-1043C with rivet holes on one side, and four nutplates on the other. Now go to 28-4, Fig 2. It clearly shows 2 nutplates on the rivet-hole side, and that carries over through the rest of the section.

I cannot find the instructions for me to either install or prepare for installation of those two nutplates on the rivet hole side. What am I missing? The angles attach to the tunnel, so I don't want to make the attachment until I can figure out where I screwed up. Thanks!

You are mis-reading the drawing on page 28-4. The nutplates on are the correct side/same side in both dwgs. The nutplates are on the inside of the channel in both photos. What you are seeing in 28-4 figure 2 are only two of the 5 total nutplates, the part extends upward, but is cut off in the drawing. Look at the illustration at the start of the section 28. Stare at it a while and you will see that they are all the same.
Bill

If you look at the part itself, you can see where the nutplates go. Step 28-2.2 has you cleco the angles to the inboard ribs; if you look at figure 2, the angle on the left clearly shows the 4 nutplate locations on the forward facing flange and the 2 nutplates on the flange against the rib. Once clecoed, the same step instructs you to match-drill all the #30, #40, and #19 into the flange that matches the rib. Next, you countersink the nutplate rivet holes from the inboard side of the ribs back toward the brackets. That's 4, only 4, countersinks for AN426-3 rivets. Then you remove the brackets and step 28-2.3 has you match-drill the other flange for the four nutplates and their rivets. You don't rivet the angle brackets to the tunnel ribs for a few more pages, step 28-11.4. I hope that cleared it up; it looks like you just skipped over step 28-2.2, the second step on page 28-2.

Back