What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Bulkheads

macrafic

Well Known Member
What have the rest of you done with the 706, 707 and 708 fuselage bulheads. The flimsy pieces of thin metal simply will not lie flat, no matter what I do. In fact, the direction that the pieces need to bend do not lend themselves to fluting. Also, they bend in wierd directions; a couple of pieces look like sine waves. Do you simply get them as best as you can, then let the riveting of the skins pull them into line?

I must say, these are the first pieces of the plane that I am not happy about out of the box. Everything else has been decent quality work, but these parts leave much to be desired.

Rich, they are what they are. I am guessing that they are as beefy as they need to be. Of course, I aren't a en-ga-near but, they seem to do the trick.

Anyways, I fluted mine as best as this wireman could and the skins magically pulled them into place.

My advice, just do your best. I am sure it will be fine.

Does this help?

:) CJ

Fuse Bulkheads

Mine were the same way.....kind of looked as if they had been run over by a truck, and I even called Van's cause I just wanted to be certain that they would be OK. I was assured that the skins and baggage bulkheads would stiffen them up just fine, but that the flanges still needed to be fluted and angled as required, so I lightly clamped each half down the the bench toward the inside edge and fluted away until all was flat. After getting that under control, I clamped them a bit tighter and bent the flanges using a block as a gauge, with one side cut to the appropriate skin angle.
All rib flange angles seem to be fairly critical, as the skins will have a tendency to take on the rib flange angle, not vice-versa. Just depends on how flat you want the skins to lay.
I've just finished riveting the aft fuse and all is fine, except they are still a bit wavy above the main longeron. I don't like it, but I'm sure all will be fine(?)

Back