What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuse skin question

wirejock

Well Known Member
The wing and fuse inventory and organizing is finally done.
Question...
There were two skins together in a roll packed in the fuse crate.
Should the two skins remain rolled or should they be unrolled and kept flat with the others?
I will be working on the wings first so I'm concerned about the two skins sitting in a roll till I get to that point on the fuse. Sorry I don't have the two part numbers in front of me right now.
I was hoping someone might remember from their kit.

Hang 'em up

I'm not sure which skins you are asking about, but I do remember that I just took all the skins out and stored them either standing on edge on some Styrofoam blocks and leaning against the wall, or hanging flat against the wall for the longer ones that wouldn't stand up well. The long side skins had to hang in an area of the shop/basement without a ceiling due to their length. I would not leave any of them rolled up.

I have just unrolled my two rear top fuselage skins after 10 year rolled up .. no problem at all - they had no plastic on them - just a brown sheet of paper to separate them . I stored them inside

No problem

Leaving them rolled up will not harm the skins no matter how long they're stored that way. Aluminum is not like paper or wood which take on a curl over time. If they were flat to begin with and they weren't rolled too tightly at the factory, they'll be flat when you unroll them.

thanks

Thanks for all the answers.
My wing crate is on top of the fuse crate. I wasn't looking forward to pulling everything out to unroll those two skins.

Back