What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuse hole questions, rotisserie, paint

MrNomad

Well Known Member
Building an RV9A, Superior O-360, which means 7A cowl.

The plan calls for a hole in the firewall to accomodate the front main gear leg bolt where it attaches to the engine mount. Thanks to the engine mount shims I can slip a castle nut & cotter pin on the end of the AN5 bolt and prefer not to make another hole in the firewall. The castle and the end of the AN5 bolt rubs (just a bit) against the firewall.

Comments please?

Second, hole # C is dreadfully close to the fuel pump mount and the cable will surely rub up against the fuel line. Why not place hole #C 3/4" to the left?

What are the ramifications of such relocation?

Third, I plan to paint the plane before first flight using the engine mount as part of the rotisserie. For rotisserie purposes, the engine will be off and we'll weld up a jig that fits the dynafocal array.

Before I add carb & exhaust to the 360, I plan to bolt the engine to the mount, fit the cowl, stripe for paint, then remove cowl & engine, and then paint.

Question: Will the later addition of carb and exhaust necessitate additional cuts to the cowl, thereby screwing up my paint?

Last: What methods have others used to compensate for engine sag and therefore, cowl misalignment after 10-15 hours of flight?

Thanks. We started on June 1, hope to be done by Dec, work on it every day, and have a helper 4 hours per day.

** If you really don't want to drill the hole, mark the location where the bolt rubs and use a ball-peen hammer to put a dent in the firewall at that location. You definitely don't want it to rub.

** The stock hole locations worked out very well for my O-320 Fixed Pitch setup. As I recall, that hole actually does intersect somewhat on the doubler.

** Leaving off the carb/exhaust should not pose an issue later on. Just make sure the gear leg slot is sufficient. (3-blade prop requires longer slot)

** I made no adjustments for engine sag on mine and after 118 hours I can't see that it has sagged any.

Just paint the cowl latter

I used the same cowl on my IO-320 with CS prop. I fit everything and then painted it before flight. After my first flight I could see that the mixture linkage on the side of the throutle body was rubbing on the cowl. I cut a hole around the close area and then build a bubble over it. Now I will repaint the cowl when I do the fairings.

Keep in mind that the engine moves a lot during startup and shutdown. Things may need to be adjusted.

Kent

Back