What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuse center/baggage rib prep question

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Quick question that I couldn't find the answer to via a search...

"Preparing the Center Fuselage" p. 8-6...

One para says "Do not dimple the holes in the aft edge of the F-776 bottom center skin. They will match up with the F-706 bulkhead and F-778 bottom aft skin later..."

Got that, that makes sense...but then the very next para says

"Dimple the holes (in the skin and ribs) that will later match up with the lower aft tabs on the F-725, 726 and 727 baggage ribs."

Huh? Aside from being a nonsense statement ("dimple the holes in the ribs that will match up with the ribs"????), what exactly are they trying to say here?

Should I dimple the center bottom skin and the baggage ribs at the very aft rib location (but none of the other holes in the aft two rows of the skin, I get that)? Should I also dimple the holes in the *707 and 778* at the location of the ribs? Should I do neither, and leave them all undrilled/undimples until later?

You will rivet the center section together as one piece before attaching it to the fuse tail. Most of the holes along aft skin should be left alone now, to be match drilled and dimpled later. However, the baggage floor ribs have one hole, aft, that overlaps with tail skin and F-706. It would be very difficult to dimple these holes once the center section is riveted together. You will need to have those dimpled before riveting it all together.

What I remember doing was temporarily attaching the clecoed together center section to the tail section and match drilled those few holes in question. Then I was able to dimple those few holes without worry, though it would likely have been fine just to open up the holes and dimple them.

Back