What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuse block placement

Simon Hitchen

Well Known Member
Just wondered where 7 tip up builders are putting their fuse blocks? Obviously somewhere on the sub panel to be ground reachable..
Any insights will be much appreciated.

Hi Simon,

This is where I placed my fuse blocks:

Battery and Main Bus fuse blocks. Attached to the F-745-R Forward Fuselage Rib, facing outboard.
IMG_9768.JPG

E-Bus and Avionics Bus fuse blocks. These are mounted back-to-back with the battery and main bus fuse blocks. Attached to the F-745-R Forward Fuselage Rib, facing inboard.
IMG_9766.JPG

Auxiliary Battery Bus fuse block. The upper attachment point is to the F-643-1 Fwd Fuselage Channel facing right. The lower attachment point is to some angle I installed running between the firewall and the subpanel, which I used to mount an auxiliary battery in.
IMG_9765.JPG

This location worked well for me. Ideally it would all be moved aft (towards the panel) but I liked the idea of the glove box and squeezing in the fuse blocks under the glove box would have been a challenge. This is not accessible in flight but not much of an issue when parked. I have c/b's for alternator field and Lightspeed ignition. Everything else is on the fuse blocks. (For orientation, fuse blocks are over right rudder pedels, firewall to right in pics.)

IMG_1634_zpsc3f7165f.jpg

P7010191_zps457c92f6.jpg

This location worked well for me. Ideally it would all be moved aft (towards the panel) but I liked the idea of the glove box and squeezing in the fuse blocks under the glove box would have been a challenge. This is not accessible in flight but not much of an issue when parked. I have c/b's for alternator field and Lightspeed ignition. Everything else is on the fuse blocks. (For orientation, fuse blocks are over right rudder pedels, firewall to right in pics.)

IMG_1634_zpsc3f7165f.jpg

P7010191_zps457c92f6.jpg

You could have taken those pictures of my installation - I did something very similar (except I used all fuses) and it's worked out great for the ~200 hours or so I've been flying it.

Hinged Fuse Panel

Hinged from the subpanel on the right side under the map box (mapbox is custom and fits tight against the angled brace on the right). Forward lip held to the lower instrument panel with thumbscrews. This is an RV-7 slider.

bzh6rvkHDvauKKFbhw_XODvMDE3VzLvno4GvkbnElMz5IvFHFzHBrxtWRXKSVLUO0kX5N6oYMKMSCwBAxYXiHh3QaNCOTPM681z_HTrbaeb6ni6CAsIJzrRl05xJZEDMZ3GLw573-BRpw5roYrljx81mR-kEOqbw2irx6C0Ld7vHbItKbI9tlH7VtVuNRKrhfOOJKiPTWFcdQpSAiGqdPekhnf-MC9Qt51YiXEsGnlCMdqJEm6YuzB5zh0XMR_7hIENmgEWm_PE1q38ywAmsDU2KziIyBDaNVlR7QIcyeAC0FfE2PDWO3JumcL0ShabXIeWdI1TeRk_spVTkXqAXClrFLTVhd-zuCV0wwW2VspdMIPWQLw3R_VV0X5BFpPnFFin_sD4XGz_U5Dx_jbJxuuCSKNUYZCl0UMGTkhlDcRwfL3u0HJRr9Rm9__jHspqNJVBbwmQgylx4-nhK9d4mQTz3RnlIj39aSmkL6JM9FsiMKaaIEQSZoI8aVCFhxqPGtuo4kLqxrk2pCOHLnkqEafflfm_pEwafldQ5GIxijqDPC6tmK_pIk-C__0qvLP6gHjJzzOLG17-YwK0mqaJknZjbR3QlnWy2Xufr3vSNdwx5oWA_SPqND4SvvkjAF5lV7ZW_PUHFpx_GXNK2gs5wd18cYRuzSa8leMqcH_WO_a-I0o-OQL_QmlmIVfklB5eAp_QC-f5_AoliMmIUjJmXRm8A=w1219-h912

Last edited:
Main bus and endurance bus are under the R side of the panel, hinged at the subpanel. The aft edge is directly under the panel and drops down onto the copilot's legs. Battery bus is adjacent, on the fwd face of the subpanel.

Just don't forget when installing equipment that at some point you will need to remove it when it fails :eek:

Back