What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuse assembly and removal from basement

Wings are getting near completion. I've built everything in the basement so far. Is it possible to construct the fuselage in two sections in order to remove the sections through a 36 inch door opening? Is there any other way to section the assemblies for removal?

Update, I have a 48 inch knee wall in the basement, a 42"x42" RO in a window with a 60 inch header, I built the 14'x32' addition so I could open up one of the walls or take out the window. The siding would have to be redone all the way up the wall. There is a 42 inch hallway leading to a 39 inch stair well split entry to a 36 inch door in a 6 foot door frame. Bottom line is that I was hoping to leave clecos in a seam in one direction. The main spar would prevent that though.

Update: I looked at the basement removal pics. Wish mine was that easy. Removing the knee wall would be the way to go.

Last edited:
Options...

I'm sure you will get quite a few replies to your question, with innovative ideas to extract the fuse. Over the years I have seen a ton of ways people have done this....and I have seen all these methods here on this forum. Installing new french doors in the basement, cutting in new doors in walls where no door ever existed, making a large window (after pulling the fuselage out), etc. However, I also know there are certain basements, based on the grade of your home/lot, which don't allow for this type of action. In other words, if the basement is ALL below the grade of your lot you don't have too many options other than going up the stairway.

Even though we can't have basements in my area of Texas (based on our soils, water tables, etc.) I am always intrigued by the people building and extracting aircraft from basements.

Hopefully you will get some good ideas from the folks on here!

no way possible that I could think of.
even in the most basic form, like in a QB status, I dont see any way to get it out of a 36" opening. Excluding the windscreen and all, your looking at 43" across the inside of the fuse. I can think of no way to split development of the fuse in half that is reasonable.

Gary,

There was no way I could find to get my -9 out of the basement's 32" door. Thus I had to replace it with a 64" double door. Even then, I had to pull one of the gear legs off to get it out. Pictures are here.

From everything I have seen so far on the forums, you need a larger opening than you currently have. I did approximately 350 hrs of fuse parts "prep" work in the basement, but had to move up to the garage before final reassembly of the aft fuse. You may be able to get the aft fuse out, but you can't go farther. At that point, it sounds like you will have to decide whether you move it out or do some minor remodeling when all is done.

Looks like prep work it is

Sounds reasonable. Prep up to the point of assembly and then move into the garage. Give the ping pong table back to the kids. Take back my shop area in the garage when the kids go off to college next fall. Could be good timing. Thanks for the suggestion Bill.

Back