What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fun with RV-8 & Pitts

Pitts

Following is a vid from last night, made with a
couple Drift HD170 mounted on headsets:

Head-on takeoff
Formation with RV-8
Barrel Rolls around RV-8
Surface Acro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DmqfbS3Ws

Apologies for the dark and poor lighting - it was
recorded late in the day, with an overcast to the
west.

We'll have to organize something a bit more interesting
next time - this was done quickly, on the spur of the
moment, after we were already airborne. But it shows
the potential of those helmetcams!

Thanks to Eric for editting it so quickly - I swear, that
kid doesn't sleep at night.

Thx

By the way, I should hasten to add that I have paper for everything in that video (eg surface level aerobatics at the airport). Legal beagles should have no fear that no regulation was harmed in the filming of that video :D

Remember, he who dies with the most qualifications, wins!

PS If you're from GA, say "hi" to my buddy Gary in the MX2 next time you see him.

PPS Funny thing ... earlier in the day, I flew sportsman aerobatics in that RV-8, to have it's Transport Canada Aviation "no aerobatics" restriction removed.

With the forward C of G (solo), the RV-8 had light ailerons and relatively heavy elevator - usually aircraft are the other way 'round! I was expecting a very light stick (lbs/G), which is NOT what I found.

Also, I was surprised by how much force was required to fully depress the rudder during the hammerhead. Kenny says there are no springs or bungees, so I musta bridged it by pivoting at too high a speed (safe but aesthetically unpleasing).

I kept the G positive for the entire flight (no inverted systems) and quite light - max was +3.9G. He needs an air-oil separator to keep the oil off the belly from the hammerheads - I tossed about 1/2 qt over the side, during the flight.

It's got a smoke system. Funny story there. I told him that he would get best smoke at wide open throttle and slower speeds. Obviously at high speed, you're spreading smoke out over a longer run, and it's going to get thinner. Well, Kenny runs smoke on takeoff, and all I'm going to say is that I'm glad he had a good attitude indicator :)

Reminds me of another friend - won't mention his name - his cockpit filled up with smoke at the top of a hammerhead at an airshow, and he fell out! Oh well, just tell the crowd that you meant to do that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks Great Andrew!

Thanks again for the demonstartion flown yesterday for Transport Canada. Next good weather day, on goes the chute, then spin testing starts following your advice of small steps first.

A great day at the airport :)

Geez, I go on the road for a few weeks, and you guys just go crazy.

Beautiful video - Eric did a great job. And very nice flying Andrew. I've watched you practicing the low level aerobatics enough times - it is nice to see what it looks like from the cockpit.

I'm not a big fan of the head on take-off thing though.

I'm a bit baffled by your comments on stick force per g - forward CG leads to higher stick forces and aft CG leads to lighter stick forces. The RV-8 is completely conventional in that respect.

The RV-8 is completely conventional in that respect

Pardon my garbled comment - of course it is! What I was trying to say is that even though Kenny told me that the C of G was well forward, the light didn't go on in my brain about the much heavier stick forces in pitch until the first pull to the vertical.

I am a simple pilot. I know that aft C of G can get sporty with respect to spin recovery, and that forward C of G is limited, during aircraft certification, to elevator authority during power-off landing. So I thought "Forward C of G - safe for acro!"

What I had read about the RV was that it had very light elevator stick force wrt lbs/G and that you had to be very careful not to over G it or stall it, much like a Sukhoi. But the light bulb didn't go on in my brain about the pronounced effect of the forward C of G location - I simply didn't think it would affect the stick force that drastically, but obviously it did!

A porky (200 lb) single pilot in the front seat and the back seat empty, results in an aircraft which is light in ailerons and heavy in elevator, which at first encouter is pretty strange, until you look at the location of the C of G.

Most aircraft are the other way 'round, with heavy ailerons and a light (elevator) stick which is of course a receipe for a PIO in pitch, and is not particularly pleasant to fly. I very much liked the light ailerons of the RV-8 - I don't know how Vans did that without spades.

Anyways, Kevin, a more useful question for you (as an RV-8 acro guy) is the rudder forces in the hammerhead. Why on earth were they so high for me? Generally it doesn't take much to deflect the rudder at slow speeds, unless you're fighting some springs or bungess or such. My best theory is that I kicked much too early, and bridged with much too high an airspeed, which might explain some higher rudder pedal force.

Andrew,

The large change in CG between solo and with passenger is because the passenger seat is well aft of the CG. Many tandem aircraft are set up like your Pitts, with the passenger seat in front, near the CG, which minimizes the CG change between passenger and solo. But, that pretty much requires a second instrument panel in the rear seat, which is extra weight, cost and complexity. Van chose the simple, light, cheap option, with the CG and stick force change with passenger being the tradeoff.

The S-2 is quite a bit shorter than the RV-8, and it may have less rudder area, which could partially explain the lower pedal forces. The gearing between pedal and rudder might be another variable. How does the amount of pedal fore/aft movement between neutral and full rudder compare between the Pitts and the RV-8?

I haven't actually done any hammerheads in my RV-8 yet, and the other only aircraft I've done them in is a CAP 10B, and that was way back in 87/88 at EPNER. The CAP 10B had wonderfully low stick and pedal forces, as compared to my references at that time.

Good points, Kevin - the RV-8 probably does have a longer fuselage and bigger rudder than the S-2. FWIW the rudder pedal travel feels about the same - maybe a bit shorter, come to think of it - but of course you don't really know for sure until you measure it.

The RV's do very nice hammerheads - I'm looking forward to doing some with Kenny's smoke system. Should be spectacular!

Because of his composite 3-blade (fixed) prop, there was virtually no gyroscopic precession to deal with in the pivot, as expected.

With a metal blade prop which has high PMI, you generally need full forward stick when you fully depress the left rudder pedal in the hhead pivot.

Also, as you slow down in the vertical, you need progressively more right aileron to oppose torque - you can see significant aileron deflection in the video I posted, just before the pivot in the hammerhead.

And as slipstream contracts in the vertical, you will probably need a little right rudder as well towards the top of the vertical, to avoid dragging wing before the pivot.

Anyways, for a hhead pivot, the stick is generally all the way over to the right, and neutral for a composite prop, and full forward for a metal prop.

You simply wouldn't believe the stick forces required in the hhead pivot of the R-985 Stearman, to put it all the way in the front right corner. If you don't do that, the gyroscopic precession of the prop pushes you negative, on your back, will full left rudder, which is a wonderful inverted spin entry.

Thing about an inverted spin is that although it may psychologically upset the pilot with the unusual visuals, it's actually far safer than an upright spin because the rudder is in clean air, unlike during an upright spin where the rudder is blanketed by the horiz stab and elevator.

The result of this is that an inverted flat spin is a complete pussycat - I will happily quickly recover from one of those at 1000 AGL - but an upright flat spin is a horse of a different colour, and must be treated with great respect, because of the two turns (and much altitude loss) it may require to recover. Many dead people have discovered this little detail on their own, including that South African pilot at the AWAC a few years back that should have known better.

But as usual, I tangentially digress into the sunset.

More practically, you RV acro guys should get the following message out:

1) stick (elevator) forces are wildly different for solo and dual acro. I didn't run across that in (my admittedly less than complete) survey of RV acro material before I flew the maneuvers off in Kenny's RV.

It's worthwhile noting that when you are solo, a substantial pull will be required on the stick to obtain the required +3/+3.5 G for any vertical maneuver (loop, 1/2 cu-8, hhead, etc), BUT if you have a pax in back, nowhere near as much pull is going to be required to obtain the same G, because of the drastic aft movement of the C of G. That's a trap that you need to educate new RV pilots on, to avoid excessive G in the first pull to vertical, with a pax in back.

2) considerable rudder pedal force is required for the hammerhead pivots, compared to other aerobatic aircraft I have flown (Citabria, Decathlon, Pitts, Stearman, Waco, Harvard, PT-22 Ryan, PT-19/26 Cornell, etc, etc).

I need to fly Kenny's RV-8 a bit more and get the airspeed down at the pivot, and see if that makes a difference. I did quite a few hheads in his RV-8 friday with different pivot speeds, and it didn't seem to make any difference. I have a sneaking suspicion you're onto something about leverage/gearing/pedal travel.

Also it would be fun to fly some surface acro in it with a helmet cam, and post the video here!

Too bad Freddy isn't here right now - I'd love to add the RV-8 to my ICAS SAC card! I'm a bit like Rob Erdos that way :)

Isn't there some guy at OSH that flies solo acro in an RV? I remember vaguely seeing something up in the sky like that - one of the Aeroshell T-6 guys?

Pitts and RV acro

What a coincidence, I have a SAC card in my RV-4 and am now practicing in the S1S to add it to my card. I love the Pitts and its like learning to fly again. Both airplanes are thoroughbreds each in its own way.

Nice video too. There is not a prettier airplane than the traditional red and white sunbusrt on a Pitts!

CM

I think you'll find the S1S a joy to do aerobatics in, and at the risk of being burned at the stake for heresy, also easier to do aerobatics in, if for no other reason that if you fall out of a maneuver, you won't break it.

http://www.pittspecials.com/movies/tumble.wmv

Spins, tumbles, torque rolls, tailslides are all "no problem". And gosh, does it ever snap roll!

However, it is considerably more challenging to land than an RV! And there is that damned top wing blocking your visibility during formation - try flying slot in a biplane sometime :eek:

Last edited:
S1S

The S1S is definitely not a beginners airplane. Your are right, it is an absolute joy to do aerobatics in. It is taking me some practice to stop the snaps where I want to and getting used to the drag on the down lines, but the more I fly it the more I really appreciate the design.

Chris M

I think you'll find the S1S a joy to do aerobatics in, and at the risk of being burned at the stake for heresy, also easier to do aerobatics in, if for no other reason that if you fall out of a maneuver, you won't break it.

There's plenty of room to screw up maneuvers in an RV, but you just might not have as much time to get your head out of your *** compared to something like a Pitts. :) But I think acro only seems easier, because the higher performing the airplane, the easier it is to think you're better than you are. :) I hear folks say (in cliche fashion) that it's so much easier to do acro in a Pitts than in lower-performing Citabria/Super D types. It feels easier due to lighter controls, faster roll, and higher power-to-weight, but to do even a basic loop and level roll perfectly, takes the same skill and precisely timed and measured inputs in a Pitts as it does anything else. Lower performing planes might just make you feel like you're working harder. And a screwed up maneuver in a Pitts might not look quite as bad...but you won't fool the judges at a contest. I'd challenge someone to fly an S-2B in Unlimited and say the Pitts just "blasts" though it without energy management issues and the need for subtlety! I know someone who does it, and he's impressive to watch. For you, I know I'm preaching to the quoir. :)

Welcome to VAF. Great video. Keep 'em coming. Just make sure they contain an RV or they'll get killed by the mods.

Heh - no problem! If I can borrow Kenny's RV-8 again, and it isn't so frikken windy and bumpy, I'll film some surface acro in it with the Drift HD170 helmet cam, and maybe interlace it with some external video. Eric's pretty good at the editing.

Hey, Kenny's got a smoke system - you can get some GREAT photos running smoke while you're doing acro close to the ground, esp if the sky is a clear blue for contrast.

Back