What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Full Oscillation Stalls... continued

jpowell13

Well Known Member
As indicated in the earlier thread on "full oscillation" or "falling leaf stalls" I got some stall/spin recovery training last week with one of my favorite instructors, Mike. Mike has lots of time in everything from gliders to turbines and always gives me lots to chew on. He also leaves me feeling more confident than before which I really appreciate.

Mike has a lot of time in experimentals, knows my capabilities and was happy to do the checkride in my 6A. We started with the usual 360 degree turns and some fairly aggressive unusual attitude recoveries. That gave him a chance to fly. "I like this airplane!" was the comment that pleased me most. (I know that has much more to do with Van's efforts than mine.)

Then, he wanted me to try some power off course reversals from the takeoff configuration. I lost 600' the first time but was getting it done in 300' after he showed me how. Based on his rule of thumb he advised not to try a course reversal if I lose power without at least 600' AGL (my plane, my skill level). Makes good sense to me, and it is a guideline I think I will remember if the situation ever comes up.

Then, we got into stalls, incipient spin recoveries and falling leaf stalls. The best "take-away" for me was his demonstration of the killer stall that can happen when turning from left base to final if you're too slow and un-coordinated. We had plenty of altitude and I was glad for it. We were nearly inverted and very nose down in a hurry. That picture through the canopy is seered in my memory.

Thanks Mike, one of the best hours I've ever spent.

Back