What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuelage Kit Arrived

Jeff R

Well Known Member
Yes, this will be the fun part. Thanks to the the Van's shipping department for a well-packed crate, and to ABF freight for another perfect, ding-free, right-to-my-door delivery.

I have one of my wings hanging from the ceiling, with the last one just lacking the outboard skin, so it ought to take it first flight to the ceiling this weekend. I have already started on the firewall. I think the fuselage will be the most enjoyable part of all.

I'm Jealous

Congrats Jeff,

It looks like I'll be waiting several weeks for my kit. I guess everyone is ordering just before the end of the year to avoid the price increase.

Jeff-

I agree. The Fuselage kit is the fun part. I have just finished test fitting the wings to my fuselage. What a blast to sit in the cockpit and run the flaps and move the ailerons for the first time. Soon I will test fit the Empennage and set up the movement on the elevator. It seems everyday brings a new item that is starting to look like a finished airplane.

However, with that said, I am getting closer to pulling the wings and going back to looking at a naked fuselage. Bummer. To bad my garage isn't big enough to leave them on.

Check for bad rivets?!?

Hi Jeff

Did you get any of the soft rivets? Van's sent me (I'm sure by accident) two bags of soft rivets. There was a note attached to the kit shipment letter. Some of the bags 1956 and 685 had soft rivets in them. My 1956 were okay but the 685's were bad.

Yes, I did, same as you. When I first got the letter, I at first thought they were talking about my wing kit. Yikes, there would have been a lot of rivets to drill out! Fortunately, I got the letter before I got the kit, so I was ready. It is a little sobering to think about, wondering had I not received the letter so promptly, would I have even noticed they were the wrong rivets?

Back