What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Vents and Pitot Clear?

WASP

I'm New Here
Just a heads up.
Its mud wasp and insect season. Fuel vents and pitot tubes are best checked on the ground. In late June not far from Oshkosh I enjoyed my first blocked pitot with a power loss on climb out over multiple power lines.:eek: All was clear just a few hours earlier on arrival. Got it back on the runway and did a more complete preflight.

I am unclear on your statement. Did you have a blocked fuel vent that led to a loss of power? It is not clear to me how a blocked pitot would cause a loss of power.

Thanks

Little Buggers

I have been pretty vigilant during my build. I put tape over anything that might attract them. I am presently trying to flush a plugged ventline at the tank outlet. The tank hasn't yet been fitted. The tape must have peeled back and one snuck in.

Over the time I have been building this plane this has been a persistent and tedious menace. They have built nests behind the instrument panel - in the pitot tube. Heaven forbid that I might have left a port in the carby uncovered. Turn your back for a moment and they are into it like something out of a Warner Bros cartoon.

Dwatt !!

Mark Bolton

http://rv-4builder.blogspot.com.au/

Back