What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Vent Line Washer Fairing Interference?

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I'm fitting the wing root fairing, and it appears that the fairing touches/interferes with the washer on the fuselage side vent fitting (see below). Should both washers be on the inside of the fuse, or do people trim this washer? I am obviously talking about the washer under the blue AN fitting.

10gzc7c.jpg

THanks,
Scott

Yup

Hi Scott,

Yup....you answered your own question.....trim/modify as needed. I've seen them close enough that the hex on the fitting needed to turned so the flat was facing forward....or trimmed as well.

Hi All,

I'm fitting the wing root fairing, and it appears that the fairing touches/interferes with the washer on the fuselage side vent fitting (see below). Should both washers be on the inside of the fuse, or do people trim this washer? I am obviously talking about the washer under the blue AN fitting.

THanks,
Scott

Like Stephen said...

just use a regular AN washer... there should be some in your kit.

I just went through this myself recently. It doesn't make sense to me to have two thick washers on the inside. I don't think that's what the engineers at Vans had in mind. I cut down the big aluminum washer first, only to find that even though I got the clearance from the wing root fairing that I wanted, it's too thick. It doesn't leave enough threads showing when the nut is torqued down, as is conventional with aircraft hardware. Stephen is right. The AN washer works perfectly, and there are a couple of them in the kit that must have been intended for this purpose.

More pics here, if you like:
Vent Line Washer Fitting

AN716

I had the same issue and asked my buddy how he did it. I was going to trim the big alum washer but he used an AN716. I used 2 as it was the same thickness as the aluminum one.

FinishKit%20359.jpg

After

FinishKit%20361.jpg

Back